Review by cpru68 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Re: Review by cpru68 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by PABS »

I read the blurb and was impressed by the author's objective and initiative. Then I read your review, which was very thorough--well done!--and decided to check out the book for myself and recommend it to my family and friends with small children. Thank you for your review.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Toni the Superhero is just the perfect tool to teach children to be self-motivated, challenging, and develop good character. More so, children learn to read with this book and at the same time inculcate good behaviour.

I recommend to both parents and children.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

Very thoughtful of the author to come up with a book that will help children to learn how to read and become responsible. Well done.
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?
Oladapo Gbotemi
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Oladapo Gbotemi »

Currently reviewing the book. It's a fun book for roughly children of ages 0-9 in their formative years of learning how to read. I totally recommend it. Enjoy.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

Sounds like an ideal and more modern book to get for your children, or in my case, my grandchildren. It sounds like the author has not only made learning to read fun for children, but has also incorporated some interesting lessons to be learnt, as well as creating a good role model for them. A comprehensive review and enjoyable to read as well!
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

Loved your review from the way you described Toni's colorful outfit to the fact that he is willing to be so very helpful to others. Think this would be a great story to read to a beginning reader to pass on some great moral attributes. Thanks for the review.
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

Awesome review. So many children today have never learned the love of reading. With all the video games, cellphones and tv, a parents must be aggressive to teach their children the gift of imagination with in the pages of a book. Kudo's to the author's of children's books. It's never to early to start forming the mind of a child, and with this book the child also learns to be a positive addition to the people and world around them.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that Toni is a superhero yet loves to help his mom around the house. This sounds like a fabulous book for those just learning to read. Reminds me of the dick and Jane books but better. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Thank you for your review !!!
"There was only one word that I questioned as far as the comprehension for the age group in which this is intended. Toni is holding out his hand to give a cat the opportunity to climb down from a tree, and the author uses the word 'rescue.'"
- I didn't realize it until I read your review, but your right on that.
- I also liked the book, but I thought the story had already been done before and was a bit too repetitive...
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

I love the book review. It sounds like a good book to get kids reading, my nephews will love it.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I love the review. Your enthusiasm is highly infectious and almost made me want to get the book. However, I am not interested considering that it is a children's book and that I already know how to read. Maybe if I were to review it, then Id read it. Otherwise great review.
MA
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was OUTSTANDING! Bravo! I loved your suggestions about making reading a fun, interactive experience. You really put good thought into writing this review...well done! I'm an English and Spanish teacher, but for high school students, so adding this to our classroom library is not an option. However, I have been looking forward to today's BOTD being July's BOTM for quite awhile now, and I've had some time to think. In the past, we were given the opportunity to be matched up with reading buddies at the elementary school down the road for a semester. Once a week, we would go there and read with our buddy, giving the younger kids an opportunity to practice and improve their reading skills with their new friends (my students). In addition, my students were able to act as role models, while gaining some much-needed confidence in their own reading skills - outloud - without the worry or stress of having to do it in front of their peers. I teach struggling readers, and even though the whole class is in the same boat, their lack of confidence and fear of being judged, makes improvement difficult because they sometimes refuse to even try. Luckily, these trips were a blessing in disguise. My students started thinking about and discussing books of all kinds on a regular basis, and with every new day, we felt more and more like a family working toward a common goal. For our last visit, my students' final project was to create their own childrens' books, each featuring their reading buddy as the main character. Not only were they used for our last reading lesson with our little buddies, but they also served as a parting gifts...a memorable token of our appreciation for a successful semester! I was thinking about matching up again this coming school year and using Toni the Superhero as a mentor text for when my students write and illustrate their own books! I love how the cover foreshadows specific parts of the book, and I think the idea of being helpful to family and community is a perfect message. With your additional suggestions, my students might produce some real masterpieces! Being that today's BOTD is so highly rated, I have to get one for my nephew, too, as it would be a wonderful addition to his home library! :-) Today is my birthday, and I think treating myself to a couple paperback copies is a great idea! Thank you again for your awesome review and keep up the great work!
hylir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hylir »

This is a very wondeful story!ever since my brother and i read this story i have noticed some changes in him like,helping people in our neighbourhood with their bags,helping the younger children with their assignments,etc.I have been very proud of him and i am happy that this exellent story inspired him.Thanks for the review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another well-written, insightful review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions as I also read and reviewed this book. I agree that the word "rescue" is a bit advanced for kids. You also made a good point about wanting the story to be more interactive. Still, I think the author succeeded in crafting simple, repetitive sentences and visual clues to help children learn to read. Congrats to the author of having the Book of the Day and the July Book of the Month!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like a wonderful book for kids. My sons love superheroes and to see a kid like them, making a difference is definitely something they would learn from and enjoy! Congrats on book of the day! Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”