Review by kjs237 -- Roadmap to the End of Days

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
kjs237
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Review by kjs237 -- Roadmap to the End of Days

Post by kjs237 » 26 Jun 2018, 14:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Daniel Friedmann's Roadmap to the End of Days is both heavily researched and well written. While it is at times technical, the author has a way of guiding the reader through the technicalities so that it is easier to navigate. Therefore, you don't have to be a biblical scholar to understand what he believes are the signposts to the end of time.

The roadmap begins with three questions: Why are we here? What is life all about? What is the purpose of existence? To answer these questions, Friedmann uses biblical and historic references to take us through the past 5,777 years, in an effort to explain our cosmic purpose. He does this by setting up a timeline detailing the ways that history and scripture intertwine, showing us what has happened that suggests those prophecies that have been fulfilled and those that will come about in the future. He often refers to Ramban, a medieval rabbi, who believed that everything that has or will happen, can be found in an examination of the biblical six days of creation.

I've always been fascinated by the belief systems of others and Friedmann did not disappoint me as his research provides a great deal of depth and insight. What I found most interesting about this book is that Friedmann references not only the Old Testament that I am familiar with, but books of Jewish tradition, Islam and Christianity, while giving credence to all three faiths. There is no attempt to convince the reader that one is more or less valid than the others. While I have heard of the Torah and Talmud, I didn't have any understanding of what they were. What I learned is that the Talmud, along with the Zohar, are the oral laws and the five books of Moses from the Old Testament are the written law. Together, they become the Torah. I was particularly fascinated by the Zohar, which is connected to mystical Kabbalah beliefs. His comparisons from the Qur'an and the Christian New Testament gave me an understanding of Islam that I also didn't have before reading this book.

One thing I found difficult about this book was the necessity of my always having to go to the appendices and glossary indicated in the text so that I would understand what I was reading. However, I am very glad that these reference materials were available as they helped me grasp the concepts with confidence. I would recommend that anyone who begins this book access the reference section frequently as you read. It will make it much easier to understand as you go along. But, as I stated earlier,the book is very well written and I didn't notice any glaring editing mistakes. There may have been a few typos but these were not significant and did not distract me as I read. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars overall.

In the end, the thing I most take away from this book is Friedmann's belief that human actions can alter the timeline of our destiny. However, he also believes that there will definitely be an end of days sometime around the year 2240, regardless of what we as humans do to interfere with that date. I say, time will tell

Roadmap to the End of Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kjs237's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”