Review by DorcasToo -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a cute children's book. It is easy to read and understand it. The main character being Toni. He is a superhero in his own capacity. A young ordinary boy with extraordinary powers. A first in the children's book series it's a developing storyline.

I really like the cover as it summarizes the book in a picture. It tells a million-word story in just a single glimpse. Also it isn't so complicated as everything in the photo is just ordinary stuff like food, cat, a brush et cetera. The title too is befitting the story as its what is covered within.

Toni is your normal kid. He plays, rescues animals, helps out with the chores, goes swimming amongst many other daily activities that he's involved in. In all this, he is a superhero. We see him wear a costume consisting a flying cap, body suit, gloves and googles. I love the letter T emblem that's so visible on the front of his suit. I love how the author doesn't dwell on his superheroic capabilities rather concentrates on his day to day life. Toni is seen in his costume while doing all this. We see him wear a costume consisting a flying cap, body suit, gloves and googles.

R. D. Base has done a beautiful work of art in this book. The book is pictorial, making a child's imagination to be broadened. The pictures are so colorful preventing boredom as it holds interest. Hence, children can relate with the character as he is one of them. The author has used very simple language that's comprehensible to early learners. The illustrations are precise and although others spill over to the next page one can easily relate. This book is good for teaching as their is heavy use of repetition. "Toni likes..." is an example; it helps in mastery of words. The only downside is that Base doesn't highlight any weaknesses that Tony has. Even superheroes are human and are bound to make mistakes at one point. Children always make mistakes, and it would have been nice to see how a superhero handles this. All in all, the book is awesome.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars as it is a perfect children's book. There are no typos or errors and the editing is well done. There isn't any major reason to reduce the rating I have given. The writing style is okay as this book suits its audience. The book is recommended for readers between 0-4 years. Parents and early childhood educators should have a copy of the book as its not just informative but also educative.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

What a good book! It helps kids to embrace day to day ordinary activities rather than concentrating on some big stuff that is supposed to be done by the superheroes they watch on TV. It is good that a lot of repetition has been used hence enabling children to master the content of the book with ease too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Very true. Thanks for the wonderful comment.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

there is a repetition of words so this book can be used for teaching the words to children. this is a good idea you have chosen for the completion of your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”