Review by Cardinalsparrow -- Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Review by Cardinalsparrow -- Twisted Threads

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Twisted threads by Kaylin Mcfarren is the fourth book in her thread series. A beautiful former geisha, Akira, is trained and forced to become an assassin for the notorious Japanese crime family, Zakura-kai, led by Mitsui-san. Akira has to complete one final mission before she is released from her obligations to Mitsui-san and the Zakura-kai.

Her final assignment is to board a cruise ship where she would find and kill the murderer(s) of Keiko, Mitsui-san's sister, who was killed two months ago in Mexico. The suspects are a wealthy British couple, Mr and Mrs Lyons. Akira decides to charm their nephew, Devon Lyons, in order to get close to the Lyons couple, blend in and gather information to complete her mission without suspicion. However, things become complicated when she finds herself falling in love with the handsome Devon.

An exotic mix of mystery, murder and romance, the book grabs the reader's attention from the beginning with a poem, "Death ship" setting an ominous tone to the book. An imaginative cast makes for a fun and lively read. Notable traits are thoroughly portrayed, from physical attributes to the inner workings of each unique personality.

The storyline is sufficient entertaining either as a standalone or as part of the series. During the book’s less than two weeks timeline, the central characters change in significant but believable ways, giving the book a credible look.

Multiple subplots driven by motivations of secondary characters were expertedly done, adding layers of suspense and heightening the intensity of the narrative. The dialogue too is clever and character specific. The author also did a beautiful job in the portrayal of Japanese culture and use of Japanese language in conversations, this adds authenticity. The plot progression and flow is impressive; making the book the more engaging.

However, the author put in several verbose sentences, some of the details and descriptions were quite unnecessary. The erotic scenes were so slow and uninspiring that it reduces the pace of the book. Also, the romantic aspect of the book is mostly physical, making it look shallow and unrealistic.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It would have easily been a 4 if not for the verboseness, the unrealistic romance and the uninspiring erotic scenes.

I recommend this book for adults who enjoy mystery and crime thrillers. I would not recommend it for children and anyone who can't stand explicit sex and graphic violence scenes.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cardinalsparrow's review? Post a comment saying so!
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Quite Interesting.I would love to read this book.Thanks.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I enjoy mystery and crime thrillers. I've never read about geishas though.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Not sure this is my kind of book. The erotic scenes sound like a little too much and I think I can find a better book to read. Thanks for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Having read the book I concur with what you say. Indeed the descriptions were quite lengthy and not clear in a number of cases. Great review.

Feel free to check out my review of the same book at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54266
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Sounds intriguing, but not into explicit sex scenes. Thanks for the warning, I think I'll pass on this book.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”