Review by Jbird910 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jbird910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbird910.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Jbird910 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Jbird910 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Toni the Superhero is the perfect children’s book for those who are starting out learning how to read. Toni is a young boy who not only is a regular boy, he is also a superhero. As a superhero, it is Toni’s job to save the day, but this book is not about what a great superhero Toni is. Instead this book is about what all Toni likes to do.

The book follows Toni through his day and tells the readers what all Toni likes to do. We learn some of the things he likes to do that most kids can relate to, such as playing. One of the first things mentioned that Toni liked to do was reading. Children love to imitate what everyone else is doing, so to be told someone likes to read, it would hopefully make the children reading the book want to imitate Toni and become more likely to like to read as well.

I thought this book was well written for the age group it was geared towards, typically those who are around 2 – 4 years old. This book would work well as an introduction to reading a book, if first read to the child and then later read by the child. The sentences are very simple and straight forward. The words are also very simple, easy to read, and understandable for someone of that age. The pictures are very colorful and bright.

I would want to read this book to my children and my nieces and nephews, simply for how colorful and well drawn out each page was done. Bright colors greet you on every page. Even small details like making sure Toni and his friends had shadows, giving them more of a 3 dimensional feel. My favorite part in the book was that it did not just list activities that Toni liked that were considered fun, like playing. It actually listed other activities that children might not find fun that they would tend to look at these activities as boring.

Even the pictures help with this by making those activities seem fun and lively. My favorite picture is the one showing Toni eating, it does not advertise unhealthy foods like pizza or french fries, but more healthy options with vegetables and fruit shown, any parents with picky eaters would love this book, in the simple hopes that it would maybe get their picky eaters to act more like Toni and eat their vegetables. My least favorite picture shows Toni holding a green crayon which looks like he is about to eat it. I know it is probably more of a “I am thinking about what to draw next” kind of posed but I worry if children will see that and think oh look Toni is eating a crayon let me eat one to.

I would recommend this book to all my friends and strangers who had very young children, who were starting to learn how to read. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, for its shear simplicity that appeals to children.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jbird910's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”