Review by MTReader91 -- The Last City of America

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
MTReader91
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 142
Currently Reading: The Burning Wire
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtreader91.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Review by MTReader91 -- The Last City of America

Post by MTReader91 » 25 Jun 2018, 07:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last City in America by Matthew Tysz is about the apocalypse due to a virus which makes men and women sterile. The US government eventually moves people into seven cities: Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Manhattan. The cities are either ran by skylords or hosts. The novel covers all the cities, but the reader tends to spend more time in Chicago and Manhattan. We meet several different characters, but the ones we interact with the most are Harold - from Chicago and a member of a secret society who may have created the virus; Grakus - last host of Chicago who has a mysterious way with people; Morgan - from Manhattan who rises to power in a morbid way; Adam - also from Manhattan who rises to power although he doesn’t want it; and the Wizard - lives in Seattle, governor of the three western cities, and a product of Chicago’s experiments. The Last City in America is a post-apocalyptic story, yet it may bring about another apocalypse. The story follows the individual and how one may deal with a situation as well as how society as a whole deals with the same situation. The novel has an evil-versus-less evil motif within the situations the characters are forced to deal with while trying to live life in post-apocalyptic America.

I chose this book because I have recently gotten into post-apocalyptic books. This book had been on my reading list for a while and it was time to stop ignoring it. I prefer sci-fi/fantasy books, but this post-apocalyptic book gave me a change of pace.

The writing is great and the plot is good, so anyone looking for adventure or psychology of the human mind should enjoy this book.

I like this book because it has some interesting takes on humanity and how people react to a country-wide epidemic. This book isn’t a typically zombie apocalypse book which is what I expecting since it is post-apocalyptic. I enjoyed following the characters on their different adventures.

The writing was fine, but it took me awhile to get into the book. The excitement of the story doesn’t start until the characters start to interact with each other in person and in different cities than where they started. There were some glaring grammatical and editing errors that were hard to not notice while reading. One error reads, “ . . . of wiping the state clean and making Chicago . . .”; as a reader, I think the word state should be slate. Another glaring error included the different spellings of some of the characters’ names such as Marshall and Marshal. The book also ends like there is another book that follows.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Last City of America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MTReader91's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”