Review by Julie Green -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Review by Julie Green -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Julie Green »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare is a classic whodunnit. The story opens with an unnamed character "standing in a shadowed corner, his back to a wall, observing but not observed." The ominous mood is thus set and does not lift throughout the book. There is a constant feeling that someone is watching the action from the shadows.

We pick up the story as Detective Sergeant Denise Stewart joins the Serious Crimes squad, led by Chief Inspector Sheehan. The squad is soon caught up in the investigation of the brutal murder of bank employee James Fitzpatrick. There are multiple suspects with valid motives to do harm to Fitzpatrick, given his history of recommending foreclosure on debts in order to secure a bonus from his employer.

Detective Sergeant Stewart is relentless in her pursuit of leads and, at one stage, receives the help of an anonymous informant. As she continues her search, she works closely with Detective Allen. The sense of threat looms larger, as Detective Allen falls victim at one point to a hit and run. The threat continues to escalate until it leads to a crisis point, the moment of life or death.

This is an enjoyable crime thriller. I figured out the puzzle before it was revealed, so I am rating the book 3 out of 4 stars. However, I only realised the truth a few pages too early, and so I would still be happy to recommend the book.

The plot is satisfyingly complex, the suspense is maintained throughout and the characters are all credible. The relationship between the two main players, Stewart and Allen, is developed fairly well. We are also given occasional glimpses of the domestic home life of supporting character, Chief Inspector Sheehan - just enough to avoid him feeling too shallow.

I also like how the author shows us the inner thoughts of the main characters. We are privy to "stream of consciousness" thoughts at critical moments. This is a very effective technique, as it makes you empathise with the characters, and the situation that they are facing at any given moment.

This book will appeal to readers who like a good crime story. It definitely had me turning the pages. I understand the book is the second in a crime series, and it is clear that Detective Sergeant Stewart has previously faced some challenging experiences in her career. However, this book can easily be read in its own right.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Julie Green's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I also enjoyed this book, there were lots and lots of credible suspects to keep the reader on their toes.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Thanks! Yes this is definitely one of the better crime novels, with just enough plot complexity to keep you guessing..
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the amazing review! This sounds like a book with an interesting premise and well-developed plot. I'll definitely check this out.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Thanks! Appreciate your comment :D
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds well thought out. When I read the description of the book earlier I wasn't really that interested in it, but now, after reading this review I may check it out.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Amy+++ wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 14:11 Sounds well thought out. When I read the description of the book earlier I wasn't really that interested in it, but now, after reading this review I may check it out.
Yes, it's a decent plot and well worth a read. Thanks for your comment :D
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nice to hear that this was a true page turner for you. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I don't figure everything out until the author reveals it to me.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 11:33 Nice to hear that this was a true page turner for you. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I don't figure everything out until the author reveals it to me.
Thanks for commenting... I agree!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a great thriller. I'm glad that it has a good plot and that you can get to know the characters really well. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 21:58 Sounds like a great thriller. I'm glad that it has a good plot and that you can get to know the characters really well. Great review!
Thank you! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”