Review by CaitlinGonya -- Serendipity Mystery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CaitlinGonya
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Review by CaitlinGonya -- Serendipity Mystery

Post by CaitlinGonya » 23 Jun 2018, 17:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery, Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi and illustrated by Jorge Valle is quite simply the most adorable and lovable series I think I have ever read. This is book seven in the Diary of a Snoopy Cat series. Inca, a snoopy Siberian kitten, has gone on holiday with her family to Sri Lanka. While there, a museum has been robbed of priceless antiques, and Inca’s curiosity is hooked. With the help of her family, friends, and the local animals, can Inca recover the missing treasures? And what other adventures will Inca and company discover on their holiday trip?

First off, as the proud loving mother of two very curious kittens, I have to say that a lot of their behavior would make a whole lot of sense if they were doing these activities. Second, a part of me is just wondering what kind of career my babies would have if they could talk. I find my little ones constantly investigating the rooms of our house and the various corners of the yard. It makes sense to me that this story is about a kitten and her own detective agency. I love the idea so much that I plan on buying the remaining stories in the series and reading them all to my nieces, nephews, and my own children.

What I enjoyed the most out of this story (besides the animals) was the artwork involved. I especially enjoyed the family tree at the beginning. I know I had to look at the family pictures a couple of times to remind myself of which kitten Fromage was, and I know with little children it will be great to do the same thing.

The chapters were quick but full of humor and adventure. I also felt that the chapters had some valuable information about Sri Lanka, but not too much that it took away from the plot. The inclusion of the other animals in Sir Lanka and giving them personalities made the characters more real. The use of the other local animals and the rest of the family really portrays familial bonds and teamwork.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars because it was just such an enjoyable read. It is especially great to be read as a bedtime story with all little ones. The story is whimsical with a snoopy cat, relatable with the holiday manners, and informational with the cultural location. I did not find any grammatical errors and the pictures are just beautiful to look at. My oldest nephew is 8 years old and my youngest niece is 2, so I believe that a good age range would be 2 through 12 years old. This is a book I would read again and again with each of them or even on my own.

Serendipity Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CaitlinGonya's review? Post a comment saying so!

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 27 Jun 2018, 20:30

I am so glad you enjoyed this book so much. I read one of the previous installments and thought it was really cute the way that Inca expressed herself. She really has quite the personality. I also enjoyed Kristi's style of using different fonts and text sizes to emphasize different things. I think that would be fun for children and might help them with reading out loud.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”