Review by Al Chakauya -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Al Chakauya -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Al Chakauya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a children’s book which is both written and illustrated by Len Foley. Len takes the reader on a journey to investigate why Sigfried’s book has a grossly offensive smell. In this story, Sigfried is disturbed why his book has such a foul smell. He pictures all the offensive smells he can think of. This is all done in an attempt to solve the ‘mystery’ of his foul-smelling book. Dog’s pee, rotten pizza and smelly diapers are some of the smelly items highlighted in this book. Though the book is ‘full’ of grossly offensive smells, the story has a hilarious ending.

I liked Len’s illustrations a lot because they were both big and vibrant –a brilliant way to ‘stamp’ a vivid memory upon the reader. I also enjoyed Len’s idea of writing the story in rhyme; kids would definitely enjoy this. The rhyming words are easy to find, since they are written in bold text.

The book is short and cute. The PDF version that I read had 26 pages. The author’s concept of finding everyday items that stink and turning them into a mystery-solving mission for kids makes a great read. The idea of engaging the sense of smell through visual illustrations is really an amazing and unique way to capture the reader’s interest. The concept is both hilarious and educative.

The language used in the book is simple –young readers can read on their own without the help of adults. There are a few big words though, like ‘klaut’, scattered in the book – a clever way to expose children to new words. Though the book is generally hilarious, some readers might be put off by the description of grossly offensive smells. The moral of the story is, clean up after your mess.

Though the book is meant for children, I also recommend it to anyone who wants to be a kid at heart. Those who tolerate disgusting and grossly offensive smells will definitely enjoy this book. I am also of the opinion that it is a great book for parents who want to teach their children about the sense of smell.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a cute book with eye-catching illustrations. The editing is splendid -I could not find any grammatical or typing errors. The story is captivating, hilarious and educative; which makes a good read. Due to the reasons I have highlighted above, I therefore award Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Al Chakauya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am an adult reader of children's books. I greatly enjoyed this smelly book except for the ending. (I hope kids don't imitate Sigfried's cleansing methods!)

I hope to read more from you, Al Chakauya!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Miriam Molina wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 17:14 I am an adult reader of children's books. I greatly enjoyed this smelly book except for the ending. (I hope kids don't imitate Sigfried's cleansing methods!)

I hope to read more from you, Al Chakauya!
Thank you Miriam Molina for stopping by. I am glad you enjoyed the book.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the interesting review. I think it's clever to teach children to clean up their mess in such a 'grossly vivid' manner!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Cotwani wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 23:17 Thanks for the interesting review. I think it's clever to teach children to clean up their mess in such a 'grossly vivid' manner!
The author has a hilarious way to capture the attention of kids but some kids will be put off though because of the grossness
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

A fun and light read for kids. I think I will enjoy it too!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 10:57 A fun and light read for kids. I think I will enjoy it too!
It's a great read indeed, but beware if you are not into disgusting or grossly ofensive smells. Basically it's a hilarious read.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

It is a really fun book, I already have this book on my shelves and I will be reading it with my daughter very soon. Thanks for your review!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

onixpam wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 14:24 It is a really fun book, I already have this book on my shelves and I will be reading it with my daughter very soon. Thanks for your review!
It's indeed a great and hilarious read. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”