Review by Samuel Waragu -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Samuel Waragu -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Waragu Samuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Something Stinks about this book” are the opening words of this children’s book Sigfried’s Smelly Socks by Len Forey. Sigfried narrates it in the first person. As the book climaxes, Sigfried consoles himself. He is of the opinion that so many things inside the book are more troublesome in comparison to his smelly socks. I cannot agree more. The book is a daring one.

Inspired by Becky and Sofia, who were careless in handling their socks, Len Forey composed this very short story. Before introducing the smelly socks, the narrator takes the reader through an unusual journey of the book to the things that just make it stink. He is unapologetic as he names all those responsible for the despicable mess. Oscar, the naughty dog tops the list. Others include: his brother Sherman, his sister Piper and his uncle Kato. All these characters misuse the pages of the book in different ways as Sigfried reveals to the reader. Oscar pees on one page leaving behind a yellow stain. Piper wipes her behind with another page. Sherman uses one page to wipe his nose. As if all this is not enough, his uncle Kato leaves behind a rotten potato that in turn makes Sigfried’s gray sock to smell. The last part of this book focuses on the smelly socks that Sigfried piles beneath his bed. Sigfried is lucky to own so many pairs of socks, which are of different colors. There are orange socks, blue socks, green socks, red socks, purple socks and gray socks. They are all nice to look and hold but they have only one shortcoming – they smell badly.

The layout of this book is superb. In particular, I like the way in which Len Forey uses colorful graphics to illustrate different parts of the story. Len Forey uses more illustrations and fewer words to make Sigfried’s story more captivating. This is a good quality of a children’s book. It makes reading feel like fun and memorable. Through the innocence and honesty portrayed in the book, Len Forey succeeds in teaching children basic manners and personal hygiene. Sigfried’s resolution at the end of the story to take the right action of washing the socks is commendable.

The only aspect of the book that I disliked was some choice of words. I did not find it OK to call this a ‘silly book’ owing to the fact that it is a children’s book. I also sensed gender biasness. Sigfried refers to his sister’s diaper as ‘disgusting’. I believe that the author could have done better in choosing other lesser harsh words.

I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars despite the mentioned shortcomings. I am recommending this book to children below the age of eight years despite having some vocabularies that are beyond their age. The story serves them well.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samuel Waragu's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like your honest review especially about the author's choice of words. Since it is a book meant for children, I agree with you that the author would have done a better job by choosing children-friendly words.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:

Post by Waragu Samuel »

It is true Jgideon.Choice of words was the major setback to this children book. Thanks for your feedback.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Every household that has children or that is visited by children from relatives or neighbourhood has a sigfried. It is a behaviour of young children especially boys to be 'careless' for its sake. Thanks for the review. I will read it.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I think this book teaches the exact opposite of hygiene manners, but that's just my opinion, thank you for review keep up the good work.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 20:08 I think this book teaches the exact opposite of hygiene manners, but that's just my opinion, thank you for review keep up the good work.
Thanks Sen for your reply. Welcome.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the candid review.
Please feel free to check out my review of the same book.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78846
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 11:19 I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the candid review.
Please feel free to check out my review of the same book.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78846
Thanks Ruba. I will also look at your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”