Review by Amywonder -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Review by Amywonder -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Amy_Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Picture this: A young woman, Abigail, was given a job to track an older man, George. George finds out and gets scared, then hires a young man, Haatim to track Abigail and get evidence to incriminate her. He gets reasonably good photos but hesitates to hand them over. George gets angry and hires 2 other men to track and kill him. Abigail's new order is to kill George. Abigail kills George. Haatim witnesses it, sort of. As he runs from the scene, he bumps into the men George sent to kill him. One of them was dead, one eye socket gorged out and a deep gash in his neck, smelling quite rotten with a good number of loyal flies buzzing all around him. A sight horrific enough to send Haatim vomiting and passing out after running the fastest race he'd ever run all his life to get away from the dead but living assailant.

Haatim recovers consciousness to find himself back in his apartment, with Abigail cooking breakfast in his kitchen. It turns out that the demon who possessed George's body had marked Haatim as his next vessel and was coming for him. So now the woman Haatim was hired to incriminate and report to local police has become his saviour, saving him from demons who can possess not just the living but also dead bodies with eyes gorging out and a deep gash in their neck with dozens of loyal flies proudly buzzing along.

Then while on the rescue mission to save Haatim, he became part of another rescue mission which was a driving force for Abigail - to go to the deep recesses of hell to rescue her dad who was imprisoned by demons while he tried to rescue her from the demons....

Now are you confused and turned off, or intrigued and wanting to know exactly the whole story? Your answer will let you know whether this book is really for you or not. Even if you don't believe in the supernatural but you love twists and turns in a good plot with lots of mystery and adventure surrounding it, you'd enjoy this book. And perhaps start asking yourself whether the supernatural isn't really real. If you're already familiar with the supernatural, you may not agree with everything in the book (it's fiction, ok?), but it will surely fascinate you. But if you're the queasy type and you tend to see shadows in your room turning into monsters at night, please avoid reading this book!

Raven's Peak, Book 1 of the Series: World on Fire, written by Lincoln Cole is a work of fiction that got my mind reeling with imaginations and possibilities. I confess that when I started reading it, I almost dropped it. A Reverend in a prison cell flogging himself so badly his body was marred and bled, demons running around in dead bodies? What? Didn't want anything disturbing my peace of mind. But the mystery-loving part of me won and I kept reading. Now I'm looking forward to finding and reading the rest of the series. The longer a book is, the happier I am so I absolutely love series. Because it means there's more fascinating stuff happening. As long as the writer doesn't start dragging it and making it boring. But I never had a bored moment with this book.

I easily identified with two of the main characters, Abigail and Haatim. Though the man she sought for wasn't her real dad, he was as real a dad to Abigail as she ever had, taught her all she knew and loved her to the point of giving up himself to save her. The organization she worked for tried to deter her from her quest but she kept pushing. I don't believe one should let anything or anyone else stop them from finding answers to the questions that surround one's life, or from pursuing a driving passion. Except if it's dangerous. Yes Abigail was going into very dangerous zone (don't we all get there sometimes, one way or the other), but what she needed was love, understanding and proper guidance to help her. Haatim also needed answers to questions that nagged at him. The death of his sister had turned his life upside down and he was hanging on by a thread, when suddenly his world really did turn upside down, or should I say right side up? Identifying with these characters kept me going to also discover the answers they sought for myself as well.

The book was very well written, I didn't see any errors. In the midst of descriptions of horrific characters was a lot of humour that made it seem not that terrible, and the story-telling was excellent, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I'm sure looking out for more of Lincoln Cole's books to read.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amywonder's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anaïs Quesson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Amy Jackson - Writer wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 03:13 Now are you confused and turned off, or intrigued and wanting to know exactly the whole story? Your answer will let you know whether this book is really for you or not. Even if you don't believe in the supernatural but you love twists and turns in a good plot with lots of mystery and adventure surrounding it, you'd enjoy this book. And perhaps start asking yourself whether the supernatural isn't really real. If you're already familiar with the supernatural, you may not agree with everything in the book (it's fiction, ok?), but it will surely fascinate you. But if you're the queasy type and you tend to see shadows in your room turning into monsters at night, please avoid reading this book!
Wow, you got my interest, that's for sure. It seems like this book has everything I can look for: a great mystery, plot twists, relatable characters, and good body horror and gory descriptions. I will definitely try to get this one as my next review!
Thank you so much for this outstanding review, Amy. It is beautifully written. Your choice of words is precise and well-thought. You succeed in capturing the very essence of this book. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work!
See you around another of your comment sections :)
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

Thank you for your kind review on my writing 😀
I'm glad you liked it and it got you interested in the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”