Review by Carly-maricque -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by Carly-maricque -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Carly-maricque »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni The Superhero by R.D. Base is a short and sweet children’s book with the main character being a male super hero named Toni. In the book, it tells what Toni likes to do. The book is very relatable to kids because Toni the superhero does things that most children do. The pages have beautiful illustrations and includes boys and girls of different ethnicity. The sentences are 3-5 words long making it a perfect book for not only reading aloud to young children, but also for beginning readers.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars! I rate it this because it is a relatable children’s book that all children will enjoy. What child wouldn’t want to read about a superhero who does the same things as them! The book is diverse which is very important in children’s literature. This book could get even more diverse by adding a character with a handicap. Along with the diverse characters another strength of this book is the illustrations. The illustrations are very bright and bold which makes the book even more enjoyable for children and adults.

Another reason I loved this book is that it is great for beginning readers. I am a kindergarten teacher and this is exactly the kind of book that I would use with my beginning readers. It is perfect for beginning readers because the sentences are 3-4 words long and not more than one sentence per page. The sentences are patterned which is what beginning readers need, e.g. “Toni likes to….”. Once the young child recognizes the pattern they will succeed in reading it. Then at the end there is a surprise ending where the word pattern switches from “Toni likes to…” to “Toni is…”. I will be using this book in my classroom next fall!

Another great thing about this book is that the activities that Toni likes to do are things that children should be doing more of. For example, it says that Toni likes to read and dust. This is great because if Toni the superhero likes reading and dusting then the young readers might be more interested in these activities. The book also shows healthy food and Toni being a good friend. Toni shows these activities are fun which helps in shaping children’s minds in a positive way.

I would recommend this book for every child for read aloud and beginning readers for reading independently. I would also recommend this book to teachers to use in their classroom for reading instruction and introducing text patterns and surprise endings.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Carly-maricque's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”