Review by melissy370 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by melissy370 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni The Superhero by R. D. Base, is a children's book geared towards the 0 to 4 ages.  With a cover of Toni balancing, on the one hand, a cat that is holding a plate of fruit and vegetables, and in his other hand a broom topped with plates, boots, and a ball, you can tell he is no ordinary superhero. This is the first in the series of this character, and it spends the reader's time in getting to know Toni.  There is no leaping over mountains just yet, but instead, the description is of Toni doing everyday tasks.  Running, reading, and coloring are just a few activities kids will see Toni doing as they flip through the pages.  

The sentences are simplistic and help young readers learn basic phrases. Debbie Hifke is the creator of the Illustrations.   Bright and engaging, these pictures add fun and visual appeal to the modest usage of words.  I know children will enjoy all the delightful drawings.

One of my favorite parts of the work is where Toni juggles reading a book and rescuing a cat. The cat's face depicts one of concern because of being stuck in a tree.  We get a peak of the superhero power when Toni does not even look up from the book to pluck the helpless feline off of a limb.  I also enjoyed the scene of Toni coloring.  No ordinary crayons for him, he uses "super crayons" to liven up his picture.

There is no actual storyline in this book, but the content is impactful, nonetheless.  Children will connect to Toni through the same activities they love.  Seen helping with chores, Toni teaches little ones it is good to aid parents around the house.  The author shows Toni eating healthy and getting proper sleep, letting kids know these things are essential to have the energy to do great things.  The true brilliance behind the work lies in its conveyance of what it takes to be a superhero. Superheros have spectacular talents and do over-the-top feats without blinking an eye.  By Toni's model, children can see that just by doing the ordinary they can become extraordinary.  Some might call Toni a superhero, but he does not mind helping his mother sweep the floor.  No one may see the great things we do, but it does not negate how important they are.  We are all superheroes in our own way.

Because of the simple sentence structure, the book had no errors.  So, I gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars. Toni The Superhero is a fantastic book for any little tyke to read and delve into their own superpower. 

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This is a definite must-have for the little ones. It will help them realise that there is a hero inside each and every one of them. Great review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love your down-to-earth review of this book. It is the little tasks that we do that mold us for greater achievements.
Akinniyi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akinniyi »

This is a lovely book for the kids, must-have for the little ones. It will help them see that there is a hero inside each, and
prepare them for the great future
Robindrake14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Robindrake14 »

I agree, I so love the cover! So makes the book look exciting

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”