Review by somersas13 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
somersas13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somersas13.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by somersas13 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

Post by somersas13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes is the first book in the Solaris saga, which follows heroine Rynah as she embarks on a quest to find the legendary missing crystals and stop a plot to harness their powers to create a super weapon. Rynah enlists the help of her grandfather’s ship, Solaris who has been gifted with artificial intelligence, as well as four other unlikely heroes from different places in time and space.

I rate this book two out of four stars, because although I really enjoyed the fast paced action and adventure throughout the book, there were some plot issues. At one point, Solaris brings four people from different places around the world and from different points throughout history which makes for an interesting conflict, however, most of these people should not have been able to communicate with each other given the fact that Rynah is from a different planet and three of the other characters come from a time and place where they would not share a common language, yet this obstacle is never addressed or explained in the book.

I really enjoyed how we gain a sense of each of the character’s strengths and weaknesses as the story progresses and see them grow as they are forced into this whirlwind adventure, but it was difficult to see what their motivation for going along with such an adventure might be in the first place, even after the short introductory chapters. The fact that these heroes were quick to accept that they’d been transferred to an alien ship in order to join a quest with an officer from another planet and her ship who also was able to talk and think for herself didn’t feel completely believable.

Rather than include illustrations along with the chapters, I wish more time had been devoted to the characters’ introductions in order to gain a better sense of who these people were before they joined the quest so they felt more believable and relatable. The story begins with introducing Rynah as engaged to Klanor and then Klanor betrays her early in the story, but the reader never sees them as a couple or becomes attached to the idea of them together, so it is difficult to become emotionally invested in the betrayal itself and the conflict that ensues because of it. I would have loved to hear more of these heroes’ and antagonists’ voices and really see them grow throughout the story as the author does a fantastic job of creating these plot twists and conflicts amongst the characters and if the reader was allowed to really become invested in these characters from the outset, it would really make the story that much more riveting.

This book has really great potential as an adventure and fantasy series as the author weaves a great story line along with creating different worlds much different from our own and imagining how these different worlds might collide.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like somersas13's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”