Review by Neda_Haffari -- A Second, Less Capable Head

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Neda_Haffari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neda-haffari.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
Reading Device: B01ATM2WJU

Review by Neda_Haffari -- A Second, Less Capable Head

Post by Neda_Haffari »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Second, Less Capable Head" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book includes 19 short stories which I can divide them to 3 categories:
• The fantasy stories
• The stories based on writer’s experiences as probation officer
• The stories which happened in Australia

In the first category, we will find two stories, “A Second Less Capable Head” and “The Guest”.
Hanna let his imagination go deep in writing these stories. In the first one, the idea was unique and fresh, the dialogues were very natural and efficient. Though, in the middle of story we could guess what will happen at the end, but still it was not a boring story to finish it with smile. The second story of the book and of this genre, “The Guest”, was even better. Very good and new idea, great ending and very much attractive till end!

In the second category, Hanna made a character, “Mr. Hemming” who is a probation officer. He is the person who tells us his experiences in most of the stories. Unfortunately, some of the stories like “Cheating the Jail out of time”, “Another will take your place”,”The Body in the Bay”, were like reports or just a probation officer remembering his memories, without any ups and down or any mysteries! But I found the best story of this book in this category, which was “Honey Bunny”. Great narrator! Hanna wrote a stalker, from stalker’s point of view, which made the story special and very much attractive to read. Hanna’s experience as probation officer, gave him good knowledge of criminals and mentally ill people. And he used it very well to make a realistic, believable character in his stories.

The last category was the worst one, in my point of view. The stories were dull and without any specific story lines.

Some of other positive points that i found in A Second Less Capable Head are:
• He used very big variety of words, which make the stories easy and more attractive to continue.
• Because of strong characterization, even though the decisions and actions of some of the characters were strange and very much odd, they were believable and very funny!
• Familiarity of the street language and criminal minds gave deeper layer to his stories.
• Choosing not very common points of view for his stories makes them technically strong.
• The sense of humor in his stories is a good reason to read this book!

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Because out of 19 short stories, I believe only 6 stories were good!

A Second, Less Capable Head
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Neda_Haffari's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice review! I just read and reviewed this one two, and enjoyed most of the stories. I completely agree with you about the characterization. I felt oddly sympathetic to some of those criminals. I wish he had written more of the fantasy type stories and fewer probation officer work though.
Neda_Haffari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neda-haffari.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
Reading Device: B01ATM2WJU

Post by Neda_Haffari »

Dael Reader wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 07:33 Nice review! I just read and reviewed this one two, and enjoyed most of the stories. I completely agree with you about the characterization. I felt oddly sympathetic to some of those criminals. I wish he had written more of the fantasy type stories and fewer probation officer work though.
totally agree, his fantasy ones were very good but very less!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”