Review by cherrygirl3 -- Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cherrygirl3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrygirl3.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by cherrygirl3 -- Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by cherrygirl3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As just a professor starting out, Eric is used to the college and bar scene. He gets more than he bargained for after a night spent with his friends, drinking. He wakes up in a strange place, with a strange woman, and that’s not even the strangest part. After spending some time with Sasha, the strange woman, he realizes that what he thought was a hangover is turning into more. His body goes through a change, "The Change", into a vampire, a nightlord to be specific.

He then falls in love, learns of a sordid past, and faces an uncertain future as a new nightlord. If only he understood what being a nightlord meant. When he thinks he's getting the hang of it, tragedy strikes and he turns to revenge. This quest for revenge, however, leads him into a new world. Nothing is remotely the same for him in this new world. So, he has to learn how to live a new life in a new world. Oh, and did mention that includes magic? Yes, he discovers he's not only a nightlord, but also a wizard. This new world opens all kinds of possibilities to the new nightlord/wizard in his quest to punish those who brought tragedy into his life.

Eric makes many friends, many enemies, and a few loves as he travels through Rathven. He also acquires an interesting sword, learns what it means to be a Hero, and what it's like to run for his life. Through all of his trials, he always works hard to hold onto his humanity and avoid becoming a monster, even though he is one. He even has to learn what it means to be a king.

Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited includes a little of it all with vampires, magic, elves, dragons, wizards, and more. With knights, Heroes, and quest, it has a Lord of The Rings feel with more of a supernatural twist than just Fantasy. It is a long book but keeps your interest as it includes so much action and journeys across a whole new world. I love how Eric faces so many challenges but focuses on being a good man and keeping his values. He tries to do what's right even when it would be easier to give in to his new monstrous side.

There are some errors, but that’s expected in a book of this size. Also, there are some extremely long sentences and grammar use, that even though may be correct, makes it hard for the casual reader to follow. Sometimes, I would have to read the sentence twice or more before I could understand it. I feel like most readers are not proficient enough in written English to follow these sentences without some confusion. For example, "One evening, sitting on a rooftop, watching the nighttime glitter and flow of life in the city, I reflected I certainly eat and drink it, which isn't quite the same as living and breathing it."

Even with these few negative things, I loved the book and plan to continue the series. It is written from the point of view of Eric's mind, his own personal thoughts. This helps add to the humor as someone's unfiltered thoughts on top of the fact that he's hilarious anyway. For instance, I love where he thinks, "I'm allergic to dying; I break out in screaming." This sense of humor and personality of the character keeps you laughing and makes things interesting even in serious moments. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am very interested to see where Eric's story leads him and what situations he will face next.

Nightlord: Sunset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cherrygirl3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the whole vampire genre.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Even though this supernatural horror genre is not my favorite, I found this review interesting and clear about the novel’s plot and its strengths and weaknesses. Thanks.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
cherrygirl3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrygirl3.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by cherrygirl3 »

Thanks, Irene C! I'm glad you found my review informative. Thanks for reading and posting a comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”