Review by SweetMelissaV2131 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by SweetMelissaV2131 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is an intriguing story about a young man named Alex Fine who is an orphan who has no idea about his roots. He has wandered through life with no knowledge of his genetic history. He was dropped off at an orphanage within minutes of being born and has been raised since that day by Ms. Jenkins, the kind yet tough older woman that runs the orphanage. All he ever wanted was to be a part of a family. There were a few times he was almost adopted but then something would happen and he would be returned to the orphanage. At the age of 18, he was ready to head to college on a full scholarship when a strange event changed the course of his life forever. Alex discovered that he had the ability to travel through the internet by just taking hold of the network line from the computer. He realized while he was traveling through the internet one day that he also had access to all the information stored within the cyber world. He had a gift or was it a curse, to retain that information in his own mind for later access. At that point, Alex comes up with a plan to change his life and finally, he would acquire all the things he thought he needed to live a happy, fulfilled life. All was going well when Alex was playing Robin Hood in the internet world until he realizes he messed with the wrong person’s information. How would his choices affect his future and the future of those he loved and cared about?

What I loved about this book is that it captivated my attention from the very first page. I am normally not the type of person that reads sci-fi/fantasy books as a first choice but there was something about this book that caught my interest. I loved the concept of traveling through the internet and accessing the information contained within it. While I was reading this book, I couldn’t help myself from wondering what I would do if I were Alex. The idea of being able to manipulate files and finally give “justice” to those who have done wrong to people was a creative storyline.

Another thing I loved about this story was the traveling to distant places all over the world that Alex was able to go to through the internet. He would pull up a website of a hotel in Amsterdam and then within seconds or minutes he would be at the hotel. I loved how descriptive Alex Fayman was when he had Alex maneuvering through the internet and ending up in an exotic location. I could visualize the whole scenario due to the author’s ability to vividly describe everything.

I think that this book, which is the first book in a trilogy, is a great read for just about anyone. There are not a whole lot of graphic details regarding sexual or violent encounters between other characters in the book. The pace in which the author tells the story does not bore you either. He jumps right into the storyline and keeps you wanting more with each turn of the page. I was so invested in learning more about Alex Fine and his travels within the internet that I immediately started to read the second book in the trilogy before even writing this review. Unfortunately, the third book has not been released yet, so I still have to wait to find out how Alex Fine’s story comes together fully.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating because of the creativity of the storyline. I found myself rooting for Alex Fine to complete his missions as Robin Hood of the cyber world. I grew so attached to the characters and the smooth plot twists and turns in this book that I could not stop reading it. The quality of the editing of the book was also wonderful. I only found a few instances where there were missing quotation marks during dialog but it did not slow down the flow of reading in any way. I am eagerly awaiting an announcement as to when the third book will come out.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like SweetMelissaV2131's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader »

Wow. I recently read and reviewed this one too, and had a completely different response. I thought Alex was a self-absorbed, arrogant jerk. It's hard to like a story with such an unsympathetic hero. But it's interesting to read reviews with different perpectives.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I read Superhighway 2 right after reading Superhighway as well. I enjoyed Superhighway but felt frustrated with Alex's immaturity throughout most of the book. Unfortunately I just wanted to throw Superhighway 2 out of the window, and I won't be bothering with a 3rd should it be published. I think Fayman should have stuck with one book.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:

Dael Reader wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 15:45 Wow. I recently read and reviewed this one too, and had a completely different response. I thought Alex was a self-absorbed, arrogant jerk. It's hard to like a story with such an unsympathetic hero. But it's interesting to read reviews with different perpectives.
Interesting!! I can see where Alex is perceived as self-absorbed and arrogant. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book but yes, it is really interesting to read different reactions from the same book!! Thanks for reading and commenting on my review!!
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 16:01 I read Superhighway 2 right after reading Superhighway as well. I enjoyed Superhighway but felt frustrated with Alex's immaturity throughout most of the book. Unfortunately I just wanted to throw Superhighway 2 out of the window, and I won't be bothering with a 3rd should it be published. I think Fayman should have stuck with one book.
Yes, his immaturity was a little difficult but I just kept reminding myself that he was the same age as my daughter :lol2: so I guess that helped me not get frustrated with that aspect of the character. There were times while reading Superhighway 2 that it was a little drawn out and exaggerated but by that point, I was invested in the storyline so I kept reading.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my review!! :D
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I loved the concept of traveling through the internet and accessing the information contained within it. While I was reading this book, I couldn’t help myself from wondering what I would do if I were Alex. The idea of being able to manipulate files and finally give “justice” to those who have done wrong to people was a creative storyline.

Another thing I loved about this story was the traveling to distant places all over the world that Alex was able to go to through the internet. He would pull up a website of a hotel in Amsterdam and then within seconds or minutes he would be at the hotel.
This sounds very cool and original. I am going to put in on my To-Be-Read list.
Thanks for the review!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Dael Reader wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 15:45 Wow. I recently read and reviewed this one too, and had a completely different response. I thought Alex was a self-absorbed, arrogant jerk. It's hard to like a story with such an unsympathetic hero. But it's interesting to read reviews with different perpectives.
I have to agree about the different perspective. Though I was not as hard on Alex, I think he did a lot of stupid things while at the same time acting as though he possessed knowledge and experience way "beyond his pay grade".

The author really didn't think through things like a man showing up on a remote island without having to take a boat there. Really? No one picked up on that? Did the gardener think he parachuted in?

:no-spoil:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”