Review by Karine777 -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karine777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karine777.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by Karine777 -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by Karine777 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The different kinds of monsters is a work of fiction. In this book the author tells the story of a man who from childhood on is fascinated by dinosaurs. Sometimes his father presents him plastic dinosaur models. They piece them together and with enough glue fumes and imagination the dinosaurs come alive to engage in epic battles. The main character of this book is Dylan Armitage. His favorite dinosaur is Emily named after Emily Marigate who was the woman who first unearthed the bones of the dinosaur from 150 years of stony sleep. Later Dylan Armitage discovers that Emily Marigate was his grand, grandmother. His ancestors wanted to protect the bones from businessmen and give them to the museums. During a fight the Armitage blood pours over the bones and the dinosaur awakens from sleep.

A beautiful metaphor is used in this book from start to finish; Blood calls blood. And what I liked most in this book was that the main characters are always on move to protect their loved ones. Dylan's father thinks that the dinosaur is going to hurt them. He tries hard to move from one city to another to lose the track of the dinosaur. But in Dylan's imagination the dinosaur is very loving, gentle and caring. It always seems to him that Emily is always there for him to protect him. But he still finds it appropriate to protect his family from it. Nobody believes in his story about dinosaurs. And when he leaves his wife and little daughter, Madison, to protect them his wife divorces him.

In this book the author shows that people can also be monsters as dinosaurs. People can be even more dangerous than the worst monster ever lived on this planet. The main character of this book is always frightened by his teacher who wants to rape him. Later his father finds out this and comes to save his little Dylan. Dylan's mother always complains her mother that her son doesn't love her and makes their relationship horrible. She commits a suicide leaving her son terribly mournful. Dylan Armitage thinks of himself as a monster too. At the end of the story he asks himself who is going to protect his child from himself.

I don't recommend this book to sensitive people for the book is full of scenes of violence even against children. This book also doesn't suit for readers under the age of 18. The sex scenes are described in great details. I recommend this book to people who are interested in dinosaurs. For the author spends quite a bit of time describing dinosaurs, their everyday life, relationships between each other and difference.

I award this book 4 out of 4 stars. The misspelled words are no more than 10. In general the book is carefully proofread.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Karine777's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This seems to be a book for deep thinking. Indeed, the world is full of monsters; dinosaurs might seem tame compared to them.

Thanks for the insightful review, Karine777! I hope to read more from you.

P.S. I invite you to explore the site and comment on the other reviews and other topics. I am sure you will find that participating is a rewarding experience.
bookva06
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by bookva06 »

great review from Karine 777, as you said "people can even more dangerous than the worst monster ever lived on," a dinosaur can roar loudly when he gets angry and catch you as a prey but people can do more harm to you like rapists, kidnappers, killers,

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”