Review by jo89220n -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by jo89220n -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 2 was a captivating sequel in the three-part series. In this second installment, Anna Walters-Simmons and Rafe Brown have been through hell and back and are on the road to finding justice. Stuffed tight with action, romance, betrayal, and passion, this novel had me spinning in circles. H.M. Irwing took me on a ride with this book, as there were some plot twists that I never could’ve seen coming.

Just as with the first novel, Heartaches 2 had me on the edge of my seat, but also cuddling up with a snack. There was a good balance of intense and laid back moments which made the read so much more interesting. Irwing used this combination to build on the problems that were brewing in the first novel, but also to set up for the undoubtedly mind-blowing ending that is around the corner in book three. It was the perfect middle book for a series.

As a result, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The characters really started to develop and become more than just people on a page which was my complaint with the first book so I was glad to see that improvement. My favorite thing about it was that all of the individual characters’ story lines started to come together to form a more cohesive conflict. More so than the first novel, Heartaches 2 showed the reality of a situation in which victims and perpetrators come face to face.

Despite the pros, there were some cons which led me to deduct a point from my rating. For instance, there were a lot of grammatical and spelling errors in the first half of the book which could be a little distracting. Also, the middle of the novel seemed to be very slow in pace at some points until the end which took off really fast. Neither of these factors had a lasting effect on my overall opinion of the novel as I was still left wanting more and am looking forward to cracking open the third and final book.

I would recommend this book to any fans of crazy plot twists and love during conflict. It was exciting, but also down to earth and serious at times. As with any book in this series, there is talk of some sensitive topics such as rape or abuse. Readers who are sensitive to these topics might want to avoid reading this book. However, I found these mentionings were done respectfully and without ignorance. Therefore, I encourage anyone who enjoys an exciting and passionate read to dive into this story.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jo89220n's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”