Review by Book lover26 -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Book lover26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover26.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by Book lover26 -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

Post by Book lover26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review; Curve Couture: A Beautiful Romance by H.M.Irwing is a romance novel about Claire Williams. A plus-sized girl who is brimming with self-consciousness, self-doubt and the feeling of always being second best to her supermodel sister, Janice Williams. That is until she finally gets the man she’s been dreaming about since she was sixteen years old.

Claire is the modelling agent for her one and only client, her sister Janice Williams. Her growing guilt over a huge mistake she made and Janice’s selfish, manipulative manner and the put downs that come regularly about her weight, she wants out. She wants to be away and free of Janice. Realising she is no longer happy living in the shadow of her young and beautiful sister, she tries to sell her contract that ties her to being her sister agent. Erin Robertson ex-male model turned modelling agent is just the guy she needs to help her. That is until Erin turns down her offer and makes an offer of his own. Claire is about to get all she wants and more.

What I like about this book is the main character Claire, and she is so easy to relate to. She’s filled with insecurities, self-consciousness, doubts about her worth. I think everybody that reads this novel can relate to Claire. She’s a plus sized women, just that simple fact is what I like most about this book, it isn’t filled with skinny, confident, beautiful women that do not seem real. Yes it is surrounding supermodels and the modelling industry but it doesn’t come across as fake, you know the usual beautiful, size zero women or men that are portrayed as air heads. The characters are descriptively written. That is always the first thing I look for in a book, if there are no proper descriptions within a book I find it very hard to connect and be able to finish. H.M.Irwing is one of them authors where once you have read one of their books, you suddenly want to read all of their books. Another thing I liked about this book is how Claire goes from being this self-conscious, insecure woman who let’s people get away with calling her names regarding her weight, to becoming a confident and secure woman. More sure of herself and not letting people put her down, she becomes stronger throughout the story.

This book contains a lot of explicit sexual content and strong language, which the author warns you about before you start the book. There were quite a few errors throughout the book but nothing majorly distracting to the reader. Towards the end of the book without giving any spoilers, I did get slightly confused by an event that had happened and then on the next page they were back to talking about the upcoming event. It’s one event with two separate parts to it which isn’t specified to the reader, I had to backtrack and read it a three times before I realised what was going on. Also from about mid way through it turns more into an erotic novel more than a romance novel with all the sexual scenes, you can’t go more than two or three pages without it coming back to sex.

I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the fact halfway through it more erotica than romance, also for the errors and because I had to go back and read the same part three times before I could understand what was happening. I wouldn’t recommend this book to anybody under the age of 16.

Curve Couture
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Book lover26's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It’s a pity the book shifted into erotica. Romance us sometimes hard to find. Nice to see the plump sister getting one over the supermodel though.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

good review, v insightful. does feel like in some novels the sex gets a bit much, like romance novel and erotica aren't the same thing, there should maybe be a better genre classification ha
Book lover26
Currently Reading:

Post by Book lover26 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 05:37 Great review. It’s a pity the book shifted into erotica. Romance is sometimes hard to find. Nice to see the plump sister getting one over the supermodel though.
Thank you, it always seems refreshing when you are not reading about some gorgeous, skinny woman getting all.
Book lover26
Currently Reading:

Post by Book lover26 »

alisonedgee wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 09:55 good review, v insightful. does feel like in some novels the sex gets a bit much, like a romance novel and erotica aren't the same thing, there should maybe be a better genre classification has
Thank you so much. Yes, I agree, sometimes they seem to be confused and perceived as the same thing. When in fact they are two completely separate things.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the really detailed review. It does seem great that the plus-sized sister is the one getting the love! Then again, it is a pity, as Helen mentioned, that it shifted to erotica in the latter part of the book. I am glad that you generally enjoyed reading it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the fact that it’s a romance about a person without a perfect body. Although I would not have guessed that from the cover.
Book lover26
Currently Reading:

Post by Book lover26 »

gen_g wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 12:28 Thank you for the really detailed review. It does seem great that the plus-sized sister is the one getting the love! Then again, it is a pity, as Helen mentioned, that it shifted to erotica in the latter part of the book. I am glad that you generally enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for your kind words, it is a shame but if you can manage to make it past that it's a good read
Book lover26
Currently Reading:

Post by Book lover26 »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 17:44 I love the fact that it’s a romance about a person without a perfect body. Although I would not have guessed that from the cover.
Me too, that had to be the best part about this book. Just looking at the cover you think it's another one of those romance books with the perfect girl, etc ... Don't judge a book by its cover is the perfect saying where this books concerned .

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”