Review by rcmize -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rcmize
Favorite Book: Unchained: Feathers and Fire Book 1
Currently Reading: Cosmopolitan: Phantom Queen Book 2
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcmize.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by rcmize -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by rcmize »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Brief - Book One of the Magi Charter by Jordan David is a lighthearted fantasy tale about the North Pole, Santa, and the Elves. It follows the character Noel Night and his involvement in the events of the changing out of Santa and the preparations for the new Santa's first Christmas Eve mission.

The story mainly follows Noel Night an elf from the List Department who received a special assignment from Santa Christos the current Santa. Noel helps with the final stages of the new Santa recruitment and his integration into the North Pole. Noel is assigned the job of the new Santa's assistant and he and Santa Nicholas begin and complete the rigorous training. There is an urgency to completing the training as Christmas Eve and the Christmas Eve Mission is very quickly approaching.

There are looks into the interworking of the different Elf departments at the North Pole and how they have all changed over time to complete the mission each year. We also see the life cycle of Santa, the Elves, and the options they have when they are too old to continue to work. I also enjoyed the introduction of the former Santas, the mystery of the books, and the reveal of Noel's newest assignment.

There were numerous editorial issues with the book with over ten errors found. There were many instances of similar words used incorrectly throughout the book. There were also incomplete sentences and several instances of words left out of sentences. These errors sometimes had me re-reading to understand what was meant to be conveyed. In the least, the errors were troublesome and detracted from my enjoyment of the book.

I give The Elf Brief by Jordan David, 3 out of 4 stars. This is the first book in a series and as such, it has done its job of catching my attention. I now would very much like to read the follow on books hoping they live up to the expectations I have for them. The book is very well written despite the editing problems. There are enough details to paint a definite picture of what was going on in each scene without providing too much minutia of detail. The only reason I did not give four stars was due to the numerous editing errors. Even with the editing issues, I would recommend this book to readers of the fantasy genre. The story would also appeal to readers of any age.

The Elf Brief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rcmize's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”