Review by llpwap -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Review by llpwap -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by llpwap »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski, Ann Hannon and Margaret Hannon, is an illustrated children’s book about a kitten, named Puffy, that strays too far from home and meets his “formidable foe.” Upon returning home, Puffy gets a bath with the “yucky” shampoo. Puffy doesn’t enjoy the bath, but he learned not to travel too far from home and not to talk to strangers.

The illustrations of the book are colorful and look as if a child had drawn and colored the pictures. I like the idea of child-like pictures for a children’s book. I know that the illustrations don’t look professional, but I think that will go a long way in holding the attention span of a child. Each page looks as if the child could draw it themselves. This would encourage smaller children to hone their artistic abilities. It also has a page at the end of the story for your child to practice their coloring.

The author wrote this story using rhyming words, which I think was a cute concept. While reading this book, I kept thinking of an advanced version of Dr. Seuss. For the most part, the story has short simple sentences. However, the author does use a few bigger words (such as obscene and formidable) that will allow you the opportunity to grow your child’s vocabulary.

The thing about this book that surprised me the most is the page at the beginning that listed all the things that parents could discuss with their children. I couldn’t think of another children’s book that had inserted a teaching guide like that. I’m sure some parents are like me, just read the book as a bedtime story. This teaching guide at the front will help remind parents that there are morals and lessons to be taught with these types of stories and that they are not just another bedtime story.

There are many lessons that could be taught as your reading the story to your child. For example, you could point out that Puffy shouldn’t have traveled that far away from the house without adult supervision. You could also teach them how important it is to only talk to people that they know. If Puffy hadn’t talked to the stranger, he wouldn’t have had to take a bath with the “yucky” shampoo. On top of the lessons that keep your child safe, you could also point out how important it is to take care of your pet.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story as well as the illustrations that the author provided. I enjoyed the rhyming scheme of the story. I enjoyed the lessons that the story supplied for parents to talk to their kids about.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is recommended for children 3-4 years. I would recommend this book to any parent that wanted a way to show their child, in a fun way, the consequences of disobeying, a new reader that wanted to strengthen their vocabulary, or just anyone that wanted a quick bedtime story for a child.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like llpwap's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”