Review by liftedbooks -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by liftedbooks -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by liftedbooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Enchanting, fanciful, mythical- these are just a few words that describe Becoming the Dragonby Alex Sapegin. A youngster named Andy Kerimov is tossed into a different universe named Ilanta. Here, he fervently battles for his life and is regularly in danger of losing his mankind. Can he figure out how to adjust and live by their tenets? The story depicts the greater part of the experience he survives while he is there. Initially composed in Russian, Elizabeth Kulikov translated the book into English. Becoming the Dragon is the first book in The Dragon Inside series.

While there is a high measure of clarifications and backstory toward the start of the book, the story is difficult to put down once it starts going. I was appreciative that these came to the start, as it makes the later parts smoother. The writer prods the reader with numerous cliff-hanger endings. This method prevails with regards to working up the tension and in keeping us engaged.

One of the compelling parts of this book is how the main character winds up transforming himself into a mythical beast, even though it could kill him. The author's narration of this process is astounding and keeps the reader spell-bound. Furthermore, the story is quick paced, yet the account isn't slipshod. Trolls, griffins, mythical beings, orcs and other entrancing characters give the book activity and fervour. The character development is so elegantly composed that they appear genuine.

In addition, the author adds fundamental parts to the plot without being unwarranted. He doesn't overexplain sections, for example, political sex, swearing, "sacrosanct" body parts, and torment, however he is not tentative about them either. The book is free of realistic simulated intercourse and apparent viciousness, making it suitable for younger readers.

My only problem with the book is the various accentuation and sentence structure slip-ups toward the start of the story. These might be because of interpretation; however, proper editing could have fixed this and the reader’s reading experience would not be interrupted.

The author clearly has a gift for storytelling and knows how to keep the energy level high throughout. The story is exceptionally intriguing and genuinely unique. Nevertheless, I cannot ignore the countless mistakes made by the interpreter as it hindered the smooth flow of sentences and my overall reading experience. Consequently, I rate Becoming the Dragon 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans and individuals who like the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like liftedbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

The orcs and mythical beings sound a bit like The Lord of the Rings. I think fans of this genre will appreciate this story. I guess translating from Russian to English must not be that easy. Too bad for the errors. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
drackeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drackeye.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: slredirect

Post by drackeye »

I have to agree on several points. Alex does a very good job keeping the reader interested though I got more of a slow burn feel from the book. I also get a strong impression the book drew some of its influences from Wizards of the Coast's, Dungeons and Dragons. I too would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys fantasy.
"Always do your absolute best in all that you do. Especially when you don't want to."
"If you cannot be proud of the job you did when you are done, you wasted your time."
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

Yolimari wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 02:03 The orcs and mythical beings sound a bit like The Lord of the Rings. I think fans of this genre will appreciate this story. I guess translating from Russian to English must not be that easy. Too bad for the errors. Thanks for the review!
You are right about The Lord of the Rings feel of the book. I do think that the translator did a good job of keeping the essence of the book; it just needs a editing for as easier read. Thanks for reding my review and for the reply.
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

drackeye wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 08:38 I have to agree on several points. Alex does a very good job keeping the reader interested though I got more of a slow burn feel from the book. I also get a strong impression the book drew some of its influences from Wizards of the Coast's, Dungeons and Dragons. I too would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys fantasy.
The book is super slow in the beginning with the background descriptions and such, but in the end I did enjoy the pace enough to make me want to keep reading. Thank you for reading my review and for the reply.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love any books with dragons or orcs or anything fantasy related. I think I'll be looking out for this book. Great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
liftedbooks

Post by liftedbooks »

JR Mercier wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 04:28 I love any books with dragons or orcs or anything fantasy related. I think I'll be looking out for this book. Great review!
This book is definitely any fantasy lover's dream :). Thank you for reading my review and for the reply!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”