Review by Haute_Coffee -- Serendipity Mystery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Haute_Coffee -- Serendipity Mystery

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat is another installment in The Inca Book Series by R.F. Kristi. These books follow the adventures of Inca the cat and his pals as they travel the world. Inca is a cat detective who is addicted to solving any mystery he can get his paws on.

In Serendipity Mystery, Inca and company are off to Sri Lanka to explore ancient ruins and relax on the beach. They aren't there for long before they hear the news that an important artifact has gone missing. A sword has disappeared from a local museum, and Inca just knows this is a job for him and his furry friends. Together with help from some new pals- elephants and leopards- the cats are chasing down clues and learning about the culture and history of Sri Lanka along the way.

The Inca series is a really wonderful collection of children's books. They allow children to learn about different places around the world as the cats are real globetrotters. Children learn about different cultures, including the cats' birthplace, France. One of the cats is even named "Fromage" and it is frequently mentioned that he feels no meal is complete until he's had a slice or two of cheese. Things like this are a great springboard for children to learn more about French cuisine, or learn more French words.

Another area where children may find their interest sparked is all the animals that are mentioned. The cats have a dog and a hamster in their little squad, and children who have (or want) common pets such as these may become interested in learning more about them. This particular mystery takes place in Sri Lanka and gives the characters access to elephants and leopards. Again, this is a great tool to have children learn more about what they are reading. The author's love of animals is passed to the young readers in an entertaining, accessible way.

One of the highlights of the book was the adorable illustrations by Jorge Valle. They are uniquely styled, bright and engaging. My favorite illustration took place when Inca the cat falls asleep and dreams of the glory he will receive from solving the mystery. In his dream, he is being crowned by angels and the illustration shows them fluttering on either side of him as they wrap his royal cape around his shoulders. Inca is portrayed as sitting regally but his expression is "pure cat" as he disdainfully side-eyes his admirers. Anyone with a cat in their life will instantly recognize that expression, and it made me laugh out loud when I saw it.

The description of the book sets the reading age at 7-12. I think the vocabulary is a bit elevated for the younger range, however, if they are reading with an adult either at home or in a classroom, I think that is an advantage to them. Children absolutely should be challenged by vocabulary and reading a book that they are enjoying will help them learn new words in a fun way. Older children who are reading more independently will also learn, either through context clues or by using a dictionary. I think the story might be a little too immature for the older range, but parents/teachers who are choosing reading materials must know their audience. There are probably some older children who would enjoy trying to solve the mystery, and the ease of reading would make this a good choice for a reluctant reader.

I awarded Serendipity Mystery 4 out of 4 stars. A child between 7 and 10 or so would enjoy this book, particularly a child who likes animals and solving mysteries. I think the author has a great concept in this team of cat detectives and I hope to see even more books added to this wonderful children's series.

Serendipity Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Nice review, i love this book as well. So much fun for a cat lover.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I love cats (and dogs). This piece is in my Want to Read list, and so it shall remain. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The Inca series is a really wonderful collection of children's books. They allow children to learn about different places around the world as the cats are real globetrotters. Children learn about different cultures, including the cats' birthplace, France. One of the cats is even named "Fromage" and it is frequently mentioned that he feels no meal is complete until he's had a slice or two of cheese. Things like this are a great springboard for children to learn more about French cuisine, or learn more French words.

This is so important! Children should definitely learn there's more to the world than what they're familiar with and they should be encouraged to understand and respect other cultures. This book seems like a great start!

The description of the book sets the reading age at 7-12. I think the vocabulary is a bit elevated for the younger range, however, if they are reading with an adult either at home or in a classroom, I think that is an advantage to them. Children absolutely should be challenged by vocabulary and reading a book that they are enjoying will help them learn new words in a fun way. Older children who are reading more independently will also learn, either through context clues or by using a dictionary.
I couldn't agree more. I've found many books aimed at children are a bit "dumbed down" in the vocabulary aspect. As a linguist, I can tell you, they're not going to learn new words if we don't expose them to them! I get very passionate about this, sorry. :P

An amazing and insightful review, thanks!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

As you can see by my profile picture, I'm a cat-lover from way back and so is everyone in my family. I think this book sounds like something we would all enjoy. Thank you for a purr-tiful review!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I agree with you that these books about Inca and her furry pals are a fun and educative read for young children. I like that they travel to other countries and learn about different cultures and see different animals. The detective side of Inca adds in a bit of mystery to the story.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I think good illustrations really grab the attention of children. Hence, I really like this about the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”