Review by BookishCoffeeBlog -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
BookishCoffeeBlog
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Eleanor & Park
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by BookishCoffeeBlog -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog » 17 Jun 2018, 06:11

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alexander Fine, an intelligent eighteen-year-old with his sights set on college, was raised in an orphanage located in Los Angeles. When this orphanage receives a grant for new computers, Alex discovers a supernatural ability to travel through the Internet, and his life is forever changed. He also gains the capability to receive and alter any information he comes across within the Internet network. With this new power, Alex attains a large sum of money to use on charitable organizations. However, some of Alex's actions may lead to danger for himself and those around him.

As I began reading, this story held much promise for me. The idea that someone can travel through the Internet was incredibly unique, and I was excited to see what the author would do with it. However, I was soon disappointed. One problem was the lack of world-building. Alex traveled all over the world, which was engaging, however, I did not feel like I gained a complete picture of the setting and situations. I do think that the best world-building was within the Internet. The author gives readers a captivating view of what it looked like when Alex was traveling inside the Internet.

Throughout this story, I struggled with Alex's character. He was unlikeable and made immoral and impulsive decisions, never considering the consequences of his actions. That being said, he was often lucky in the outcomes of his decisions. He was rarely questioned when he popped up next to computers or when he paid for 25 dollar cab rides with 200 dollars. When he discovered his ability, he was strangely calm and far too accepting of his situation. He was too trusting of people he just met. Alex and the other characters in this story were underdeveloped. I did not feel an attachment to any of the characters.

Another issue I had with this novel was the writing. It was very formal and awkward to read, making it unrealistic for an eighteen-year-old. This book contained a large amount of grammatical and formatting errors. There were missing words, incorrect punctuation, and strange phrasing. This novel needs some time with an editor, fleshing out the ideas and finessing the writing.

I rate Superhighway by Alex Fayman a 2 out of 4 stars. I cannot give it 3 stars because of the poor writing, characterization, and world-building. This story does not deserve a 1-star rating because it has an interesting plot and is a fast read. The book contains twists and turns, making me curious about what will happen next. However, throughout the story, I found myself either completely intrigued or utterly bored. This is a great book for someone new to the science-fiction genre because the science is relatively easy to digest. I would also recommend this book to readers looking for a unique plot. I would not recommend this book to someone searching for a well-built world and fleshed out characters.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like BookishCoffeeBlog's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”