Review by Misael -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review by Misael -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ripcord Recovery" by T.T. Sawyer.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer is an anecdotal treatise of the author's addiction to alcohol and drugs. In this non-fiction novel, the author narrates his addiction at an early age, eventual rehabilitation, relapses and subsequent awakening. His determination to fight his relapse leads him to conduct research on the possibility of a certain drug as his last resort. Will the experiment finally end his predicament or push him closer to a death spiral?

The only thing that I liked about the book was it’s timely. News reports regarding suicide committed by people from different walks of life have risen to an alarming level and apparently, most of the cause of death was from a drug overdose.

I got confused while I was reading the first few chapters because the author was vague on what kind of rehab he submitted himself for on certain time periods. He would be narrating his relapse and rehab for his alcohol problem, and on the same breath would mention something about drug cessation. He would be talking about drug addiction and would mention something about treatment for his smoking. It went like this several times that I managed to gift myself a headache and it had me re-reading previous paragraphs to understand. The only thing that was clear to me was, he needed treatment for several problems: alcoholism, drug addiction, smoking and other psychological issues!

Why did he suffer a relapse after more than two decades of sobriety? This was a question that stuck in my mind. He never divulged what precipitated him to drink alcohol or take drugs again. It would be beneficial to his purpose of recounting his experiences if he explained the reason than merely saying he relapsed. Logically, if he could remain sober for 22 years, he must have encountered a difficult situation for him to have a relapse. He offered three reasons, and yet I could not accept them as valid.

For me, not providing enough backgrounds on the reasons for his addictions was not a sensible action. This book would have effectively served its purpose if only he had presented it in a concise, logical manner. Truth to tell, I ended up confused and was left with so many unanswered questions. What impacted me and sank in my mind was, it was a win-win situation for the author: giving up one illegal drug for another one, legal it may be in other countries. I was tempted to stop reading and ignore the book completely, but I held on because I was a bit curious on where the story will go. I should not have persevered because I only got disappointed in the end.

There were so many grammatical errors, right from the first chapter and continued until the conclusion. I observed many sentences that lacked punctuation marks even before I was halfway through with the book. Apparently, the author did not use proofreading tools.

I give it 1 out of 4 stars. I did not give a 2 for the following reasons: the topic of drug addiction represents an extremely sensitive issue and, in my opinion, was handled carelessly by the author; there were many grammatical errors, and I did not obtain any valuable insight from the book.

Ripcord Recovery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Misael's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Oh dear, well done for finishing the book. It sounds like a disaster.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

That's awful. It's a shame it wasn't done better and more info was given. Sorry you had to read that :mrgreen:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Helen_Combe wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 05:07 Oh dear, well done for finishing the book. It sounds like a disaster.
hahahahah! The only thing that kept me from totally ignoring this book was my commitment to finish it and give my honest-to-goodness appreciation. Thank you for commenting. Happy reading to us!
Knowledge is power.
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

JR Mercier wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 05:14 That's awful. It's a shame it wasn't done better and more info was given. Sorry you had to read that :mrgreen:
I have to finish and see how it goes in the end. Lesson learned. Thank you for your comment. Happy reading to us!
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

That is disappointing. Most recovery stories are inspirational.
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

teacherjh wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:37 That is disappointing. Most recovery stories are inspirational.
That is what I thought, too. Thank you for your comment. Happy reading to us!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

teacherjh wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:37 That is disappointing. Most recovery stories are inspirational.
My thoughts exactly! I'm sorry that the book did not live up to your expectations. Great review, though!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I just finished reviewing this book, too, and the edition I read had the errors corrected. I agree with you on the issue of not disclosing his relapse better. I wonder if it would have revealed his real identity somehow.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”