Review by Kendra M Parker -- If life stinks get your hea...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Kendra M Parker -- If life stinks get your hea...

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts by Mark L. Wdowiak is a self-help book that teaches readers how to make changes in their lives by assuming responsibility for themselves.

I appreciate how this book lays out the author's opinion in a straightforward and simple manner. Wdowiak does not waste time by flattering his readers. Instead, he explains that the main reason people have trouble achieving success is that they do not recognize their own part in their problems. Additionally, they do not want to put in the effort to make changes happen. Wdowiak recommends a crawl, walk, run strategy to help people make changes in their lives. In the crawling phase, he counsels readers to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. When readers have acknowledged their responsibility, the walk phase encourages readers to take control of their thinking and change their mindset to look for success. Finally, in the run phase, readers learn to take action and be ready to accept the opportunities as they arise.

At times, Wdowiak's approach and language can feel somewhat abrasive. As someone who has traveled this path, he understands that sometimes it takes a firm statement for someone to finally recognize his or her part in the situation. Throughout the book, Wdowiak speaks about his own path to understanding his part in his problems and making the necessary changes to realize his dreams. He credits some of his mentors with speaking firmly to him and finally helping him change his life. In return, he offers readers this same voice so that they may also recognize their own responsibility and change their lives.

While I support the ideas contained within this book, I found at times that it seems somewhat repetitive. This repetition may be important for readers that struggle with the idea of taking responsibility for their actions, though. Despite the repetition, I did find some stories and helpful words of advice throughout the book. For example, I appreciate how the author differentiates obligation and responsibility by saying, “Obligation is something you owe, responsibility is something you do.” Another of my favorite quotes states, “an excuse is just a reason based on a lie - so stop lying to yourself!” Quotes like these helped me find value in the book and made me appreciate the words of wisdom from the author.

In the end, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found the book was edited well and contained only a few minor errors. While the content is both practical and valuable, the “wow” factor that I find necessary for the fourth star is missing. I recommend this book to readers looking for a no-nonsense guide that will help them take ownership of their situation and make lasting, positive change. Readers looking for a “feel good” self-help book may wish to look elsewhere.

If life stinks get your head outta your buts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

"Instead, he explains that the main reason people have trouble achieving success is that they do not recognize their own part in their problems."

I completely agree with this. I also feel that with any self-help book it starts to become repetitive. Good review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I know a couple if people who are their own worst enemy. This book would be perfect for them.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I've read quite a few positive ones on this book and I think it'll be a great reference for self evaluation and taking full responsibility of ones life choices.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Thanks for this review. I'm still on the fence about whether or not this would be a book for me, but every review helps move me a little closer to it.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

JR Mercier wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 03:16 "Instead, he explains that the main reason people have trouble achieving success is that they do not recognize their own part in their problems."

I completely agree with this. I also feel that with any self-help book it starts to become repetitive. Good review.
Thanks for the compliment. I think you’re right that most self-help books do become repetitive. Is it simply that they are trying to fill space? Or does it just take a lot of repetition for a message to sink in?
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:04 Great review. I know a couple if people who are their own worst enemy. This book would be perfect for them.
I thought this book was very practical, and I think that it is unfortunate these ideas have fallen out of favor. Maybe this book will help some people make some changes.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Nimat87 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:14 Thanks for the detailed review. I've read quite a few positive ones on this book and I think it'll be a great reference for self evaluation and taking full responsibility of ones life choices.
It is a good book, and it has some great points in it. Since it will be the book of the month later this year, it is a good one to read.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Dael Reader wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 18:37 Thanks for this review. I'm still on the fence about whether or not this would be a book for me, but every review helps move me a little closer to it.
If it helps, this will be the book of the month later this year. That’s really why I chose to read this one. I figured I would get it out of the way early. :D
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 15:08
JR Mercier wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 03:16 "Instead, he explains that the main reason people have trouble achieving success is that they do not recognize their own part in their problems."

Thanks for the compliment. I think you’re right that most self-help books do become repetitive. Is it simply that they are trying to fill space? Or does it just take a lot of repetition for a message to sink in?
Honestly, I think it's both. You gotta reach the quota and some people have thick heads.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

An abrasive tone in a book like this could swing either way... I'm sure some will love, some will hate.
Some of the quotes in the book seem really interesting though, I enjoyed the obligation/responsibility comparison.
Thanks for the awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 15:46 An abrasive tone in a book like this could swing either way... I'm sure some will love, some will hate.
Some of the quotes in the book seem really interesting though, I enjoyed the obligation/responsibility comparison.
Thanks for the awesome review!
Thank you for the compliment. I didn’t have any problems with the tone, but you’re right that others could go either way. It did have some great ideas and quotes in it, and I found myself highlighting a few of them to keep for later.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

i'm not in to self help, but if i was, i guess this would be for me, cut the inspiring wishy washy feel good stuff and just have a go at someone, tough love self help - im into it.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

alisonedgee wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 09:53 i'm not in to self help, but if i was, i guess this would be for me, cut the inspiring wishy washy feel good stuff and just have a go at someone, tough love self help - im into it.
That was my thought, too. I generally don’t like self-help books because they are so full of fluff and blame shifting. This was a good one that I thought offered some genuinely helpful advice.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Wdowiak recommends a crawl, walk, run strategy to help people make changes in their lives. In the crawling phase, he counsels readers to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. When readers have acknowledged their responsibility, the walk phase encourages readers to take control of their thinking and change their mindset to look for success. Finally, in the run phase, readers learn to take action and be ready to accept the opportunities as they arise.
I really enjoyed your review. I read this one, too, and totally missed the Walk, Crawl, Run strategy. That is brilliant that you picked that up. I thought the book was very helpful, but you are right it was a bit repetitive.

I also thought it lacked action steps.

PS I love your flower avatar. Is that a daffodil?
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”