Review by elivia05 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by elivia05 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by elivia05 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks is a humorous children's book that was both written and illustrated by Len Foley. Len Foley dedicated the book to Becky and Sophia, "whose never-ending pile of socks" gave her the inspiration to write this book. On each page, Sigfried, the main character, is attempting to identify what makes the pages of his book smell so terrible. Of all the smells listed in the book, nothing is worse than Sigfried's pile of smelly socks.

The author plays on gross humor throughout this book. In my experience, gross humor usually guarantees at least a few laughs from younger children. I read this book to my four-year-old nephew and he was giggling with each turn of the page. Len Foley has created a rhyme scheme on every page that adds to the fun reading experience that is created by this children's book. If you or your child have enjoyed the works of Dr. Seuss, you will most likely enjoy this super fun and a little bit silly reading experience.

What initially drew me to this book was the author's description. "Warning: Everyone says this book stinks!" from a marketing standpoint this is a very bold move, but it definitely grabs your attention. This book definitely does stink, but not in the way that you would initially assume.

Another thing that drew me to this book was the illustrations. Len Foley did a great job both writing and illustrating this book. The characters are not drawn with clean lines which contribute to the messy feeling that this book gives off. The pages are comprised of both illustrations and photos, and the mixed mediums really add layers to the book.

I am happy to rate this children's book 4 out of 4 stars. Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley was clearly professionally edited. By reading this book, you can tell that the author/illustrator was familiar with children and the way that their minds work. The best thing about this book is that it teaches children the importance of cleanliness while entertaining them with the fun story about a boy named Sigfried and his smelly socks.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading and laughing with their children. I would also recommend this to parents that are teaching their child to read to themselves. The words that Len Foley uses are not too complex for young readers who are beginning to read independently. By far, the most difficult word in this book is the main character's name, Sigfried.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like elivia05's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review. The book sounds so cute and funny. The cover art looks really great as well. I have yet to find an author who can write a children's book and be able to identify with the audience and not confuse them with big words that they wouldn't be able to understand. I will have to check out this book for myself.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the engaging review. I absolutely enjoyed reading and reviewing this book too. I couldn't stop laughing and covering my nose to the most vividly described smells.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the engaging review. I absolutely enjoyed reading and reviewing this book too. I couldn't stop laughing and covering my nose to the most vividly described smells.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

great review, nice to see you had a good time with it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”