Review by Norvincent007+ -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Norvincent007+
Currently Reading: Bound
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norvincent007.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Norvincent007+ -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Norvincent007+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit
Darwin Hastings left his ill aunt who was his guardian for years in Pittsburgh and moved to his cousin in New York. Luther Pinnelli, Darwin’s cousin is a famous football player and is also known as a social gorilla. Luther’s girlfriend, Sweeney Pale, is a celebrity singer. Big changes awaited Darwin to the new place, including Luther’s strict guardianship that did not allow Darwin to enjoy his inheritance allowance. He had to work if he wanted to have some money. He started working for Luther doing errands, washing cars and Luther’s personal assistant at times. Granny Aretha and the house manager, Mrs. Thomas, supported Darwin with his allowance. He witnessed the football player’s irregular lifestyle, even hidden activities like beating girls, private poker games, parties, secret transactions, and enemies. There were threats surrounding Luther, including one that almost made Luther intentionally lose the game but the team still won, which put Darwin and Sweeney in a boat accident one summer day.

Luther and Sweeney got married but Luther did not change his ways and still got into troubles, including an affair with swimmer Betsy, Mrs. Thomas’ daughter. Betsy’s dead body was found days after her disappearance and Luther was one of the persons of interest. In the end, swim coach and trainer, Mike Palmer had confessed to the crime. Sweeney became friends with Darwin. She dealt with Luther’s shortcomings and fought for her marriage.

Darwin made friends with Dr. Adrian Malverne and to the latter’s daughters, Helen and Coral. He fell in love with Ms. Pearlstein, his English tutor, but the relationship turned sour. He became a medical doctor and ended up marrying Helen Malverne, who was into lies and deceits. Darwin became wealthy from his inheritance, and from Granny’s inheritance to him as well. He also developed an app that gave him huge income. Darwin and Helen had a divorce when she had a discreet relationship with her former boyfriend, Leonard, who got her pregnant eventually. Darwin became interested with his friend who had been with him through good and bad, Dominique Millerand.

Guardian of Deceit revolved around a story about young women and their ideas toward love, friendship, lust, sex, and abuse. Darwin Hastings witnessed how women can be abused both physically and morally. Marriage motives are also described in this story. Luther married Sweeney for convenience and for his image while Sweeney loved him very much and did not care about fame and fortune. Helen got married to Darwin because he was a good catch, socially and financially. Women’s perception towards sex were differentiated in this story. Ms. Pearlstein regretted doing it with Darwin and felt so guilty. Coral had a bad reputation of doing it with some boys while her sister, Helen, did not like the feeling of being submissive with a man.

I like the way the author described a football game. It is like taking the reader to a live event and feeling the suspense of the last minute actions. “The ball soared toward Creshawn. Creshawn’s eyes locked on it. Thank you, God and Luther! Creshawn thought. He was still running through the red zone, over the goal line now, into the end zone. God f****g damn. The ball was short … way underthrown.”
How the author put into details the medical setting, including the medical students, their professors, the events inside the institution, and some malpractice, including medical lawsuits, is what I like most about the book. It got me into thinking that William Coles must have spent a lot of time in the medical field to write such vivid details.

If there’s something that I don’t like about the story is the sudden shift of Helen’s personality, from a feminist who did not enjoy making love because she felt she’s being used as a woman, and then turned up to be an adulterer. She was a sweet love interest for Darwin at the middle part of the story but soon after getting married to him, she became involved with deceit, even bearing a child to another man.

The part when Luther had beaten a girl at the motel is what I did not like the most. “The right side of her face was bruised black and blue and there was a scrape above her eye that left blood on the pillow.” When I was reading it, a question prompted me, “should it be bruised black and blue right after thirty minutes?”

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few typographical errors but I did not rate it 4 because some questions were tickling my mind while reading the book, like what I previously mentioned, “black and blue bruises” and the guardian’s offbeat presence from the middle part of the story until the end.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Norvincent007+'s review? Post a comment saying so!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I had similar thoughts and feelings as I read Guardian of Deceit. One of the main things that I got from this book is how our interpersonal relationships are affected due to financial status and societal status. I also didn't enjoy the abrupt personality change that Helen had either
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Noni22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Noni22 »

Seriously, I enjoyed this book, this is a moral lesson that encourages those wit positive character. And tells us who we are

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”