Review by bookiegalke -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
bookiegalke
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by bookiegalke -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by bookiegalke » 16 Jun 2018, 11:06

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caleb J. Boyer, the author of Island games is a young boy whose creativity puzzled me. As I read through Island games, I was pleasantly surprised by the level of creativity exhibited right from the first chapter of the book. Island games follows the story of two boys, Matthew and Ryan. The duo find themselves in a strange island with no clue as to how or why they got there. Before realizing that they have to figure out how to survive in the unfamiliar territory, the boys initially struggle to come to terms with the reality they must face. They endure hardship while on the island and their lives are also threatened.

By the time I got to the second chapter of the book, I was already impressed by the writer’s ability to combine his faith in God and imagery to develop the plot of the story. The theme that was consistent throughout the story is that of perseverance. Though Matthew’s and Ryan’s age is not revealed in the story, I could tell from the kind of conversations they had that they were probably boys between the ages of ten to fifteen. However, they demonstrated a level of courage and ability to stand under pressure that was likeable to me.

Though worried about how they would get themselves out of the island, Matthew and Ryan combine their ideas to find ways to survive on the island. Their friendship and memories of their past life works to keep them together especially when they are faced with danger. The kind of influence they had on each other was positive. For a young adult, this could probably serve as an instructional manual to them especially if he/she is struggling with negative influence.

While the book would most certainly appeal to young adults between the ages of ten to fifteen, older readers would, without a doubt, find themselves sucked into the story. The language used is not complex for the targeted audience. There isn’t any sexual content which makes the book suitable for the young reader. Suspense is a key aspect of the story that I found tactfully employed towards the end of every chapter. That was enough to get me interested in how the story would culminate.

Overall, I rate Island games 4 out of 4 stars. The story line is easy to follow through plus the editing seems professionally done. The humor employed in the story left me feeling like I was watching one of those comedy series that always leave me bursting into laughter. I recommend Island games for the young adults who are interested in learning about friendship and perseverance.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookiegalke's review? Post a comment saying so!
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”