Review by kfwilson6 -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by kfwilson6 -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So many things are lost to history, but is a missing Leonardo da Vinci painting one of those things? Art historian Angela Renatus has started having visions of a beautiful woman being painted by the famous fifteenth-century artist; there is no known painting by da Vinci of this woman. The visions and dreams of the past confuse Angela, and her uncertainty about the nature of these dreams is only enhanced when art detective Alex Caine reaches out to her for assistance in locating a painting purported to have been done by da Vinci. Alex and Angela allow Angela’s visions to guide them, hoping they will lead to the truth about the painting and its possible location. The painting was allegedly smuggled from a museum in Florence by a World War II soldier during the German occupation of Italy, but if it exists, what happened to it? If the painting does exist is it even attributable to Leonardo da Vinci? The search for what could turn out to be a nearly priceless painting doesn’t come without threats from those who seek the painting to gain fame and fortune. Will Angela and Alex survive long enough to discover the truth about the painting? The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami is a fast-paced mystery that will lead the reader on a wonderful journey to discover the answers to all of these questions.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci is a fascinating mixture of romance, mystery, suspense, history, and fantasy. Although Alex and Angela are the focal points of the story, Angela’s visions give the reader glimpses of two sets of lovers. The first, Fioretta and Giuliano, are a fifteenth-century couple who are the subjects of the mysterious da Vinci piece. The second, Sophia and Gerhard, are WWII lovers who Angela sees smuggling the painting from the Uffizi Gallery. Angela struggles to understand if the visions are truths of the past or figments of her imagination. Whether or not the visions of the four lovers are true historical events, their stories are interesting. The way in which the couples deeply loved each other makes the reader want to know more about them. One of the shortcomings of this novel is the lack of detail and depth to the stories of Fioretta and Giuliano and Sophia and Gerhard. The glimpses into their lives left me wanting to know more about them, as well as the renowned da Vinci.

Another point of discontent I have with the romance aspect of this story is the relationship between Alex and Angela. Ami repeatedly reminds the reader that the two have only known each other for one week, yet they do not hesitate to quickly progress their romance. The intimate scenes are awkwardly written. The descriptions of their actions are in keeping with many romance novels I have read, but the dialogue between them during these scenes is my least favorite aspect of this book. I cringed as I read the things they say to each other. It is as if they have to constantly reassure one another that they find pleasure in their lovemaking.

My complaints about the romance in the story are trumped by my enjoyment of the mystery and suspense. The search for the truth surrounding the supposedly missing da Vinci painting is wonderfully executed. I enjoyed the journey through Angela’s visions as she pieced together information from the past to come to a conclusion about the painting. The discoveries that result from the visions move the story along at an excellent pace.

The historical accuracy that Ami commits to is also wonderful. Her inclusion of actual historical figures and events drove me to research certain people and events. I found everything I researched to be accurate including the relationship between Fioretta and Giuliano, the fates of the fifteenth-century lovers, and the bombing of Florence's bridges during WWII. The accuracy with which Ami details these events greatly impressed me. I am not a huge history fanatic so when an author can compel me to research historical events, that is quite a feat.

Overall, this is an enjoyable story. I was engaged throughout with the exception of Alex and Angela’s bedroom scenes. Ami has a flair for describing scenery, art, and history. The Italian backdrop of the search was beautifully detailed. The Girl Who Knew da Vinci is worthy of 3 out of 4 stars. I am withholding the fourth star for the awkward dialogue between Angela and Alex, the lack of development of the stories of the two other couples, and the typing errors that need to be corrected including quite a few missing quotation marks. I look forward to reading more by Belle Ami.

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Great review! Sorry you had so much trouble getting this one through the system.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Great job summarizing the plot. I found that a difficult thing to do, considering all the different storylines. I wasn't super impressed with Alex and Angela's fast-paced relationship either, but I also didn't think the mystery portion was all that great. I agree that the historical aspects made up for some of that though. Nice review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kfwilson6! I agree with your negatives about the book, especially the Alex-Angela sexcapades. I also gave it 3 stars. Belle paints wonderful images with her words.

So this was the long-lost review. (Just like the da Vinci painting.) I'm glad it finally is found.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great, detailed review. I enjoyed the sample I read and am contemplating reading this novel. Thanks for your opinion
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this particular review! The book definitely sounds interesting, and I loved your summary. Thanks for the lovely read!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm so glad this was finally published - it definitely deserves to be read! I find it so odd that there is a touch of fantasy in this book (with Angela's visions). But it looks like Ami has managed to incorporate it flawlessly. That could go so wrong - so kudos to the author! And to you - AWESOME review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

trajoe1206 wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 20:24 Great, detailed review. I enjoyed the sample I read and am contemplating reading this novel. Thanks for your opinion
Thank you! I hope my review helped you make up your mind. If not, the BOTM forum discussions will give lots of insight.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

gen_g wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 01:21 I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this particular review! The book definitely sounds interesting, and I loved your summary. Thanks for the lovely read!
Thank you gen_g! I always enjoy getting your feedback. You can't expect a system with so many users to work flawlessly. I just persisted in seeking an answer until I finally got one :)
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

kfwilson6 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 09:44
gen_g wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 01:21 I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this particular review! The book definitely sounds interesting, and I loved your summary. Thanks for the lovely read!
Thank you gen_g! I always enjoy getting your feedback. You can't expect a system with so many users to work flawlessly. I just persisted in seeking an answer until I finally got one :)
You're absolutely right - hopefully the glitches get ironed out soon. You're too kind, your reviews are always works of art which makes reading them a pleasure! (:
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Thanks for your honest review. I already had the opportunity to read this book. I really enjoyed the way you described the plot.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

onixpam wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 12:53 Thanks for your honest review. I already had the opportunity to read this book. I really enjoyed the way you described the plot.
Thank you for saying that. There are some book summaries I struggle with so it is nice to have that positive feedback!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I personally struggle to read the romance genre because of interactions like you described between Angela and Alex. I like the premise of the book well enough, and I think if I read it, I'd want to know more about the historical couples than I would want to know about Angela. After reading the sample, I decided against picking it up, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
sareyn
Currently Reading: The Burning Maze
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sareyn.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by sareyn »

I've read a sample of this book and have been considering reading it. Your review is really good! Despite awkward romance dialogue, which usually seems awkward in most books, it sounds like the meat of the story is worth reading!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

sareyn wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 08:18 I've read a sample of this book and have been considering reading it. Your review is really good! Despite awkward romance dialogue, which usually seems awkward in most books, it sounds like the meat of the story is worth reading!
Thank you so much. The negatives don't ruin the story. I'd definitely say it's worth reading.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”