Review by JazmynElizabeth -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Review by JazmynElizabeth -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Note: I know that reviewers are supposed to refrain from spoilers, but in this instance it is hard not to explore controversies that give away the plot. I also must warn you that the content is triggering and deals with graphic sexual assault in a way that I would label incredibly tasteless. If this hits too close to home for you, I do not recommend you read this book. Even if you are okay with hard-hitting content, I don’t recommend it.

Heartaches is a romance novel featuring a damaged woman named Anna who is struggling to deal with the abuse she has faced when she meets an ex-soldier named Rafe. Even though both are trying to forget their past, they find solace in each other.

In theory, the plot was wonderful. It was supposed to be important and spread an emotional message about abuse and trauma. It therefore makes me feel like a bad person to critique a book that covers such tragic topics. But I think that the writing did not do the topic justice. Instead, it went so far as to glamourize it.

From a literary standpoint, I hated it. It takes a lot for me to consider a book badly written, as I understand that there is a difference between a writer and a storyteller. A story can be good even if the novel itself is not. Due to this view it is very rare for me to rate a book negatively. Sadly, it seems that I am too critical of this book to do anything but. I couldn’t get into the book properly because it was so flawed.

The sex scenes read like smutty fanfiction written by an eleven year old, the scenes of graphic sexual assault were unrealistic and unhealthy. For example: the rape scenes were overtly sensual, evidently meant to arouse a reader. That is the most untasteful way to conduct a scene of this nature, as the fact that she was drugged was not revealed until afterwards. It appeared by all means ‘sexy’ until this reveal. Even after the protagonist realised that she had been drugged, she labelled a kiss she shared with the perpetrator afterwards as ‘the most erotic kiss ever’. What kind of message does that send? That a rapist is in some way erotic? As a victim of such an experience myself, this scene outraged me. I am aware that it is hard to separate the physical from the mental, and while you may be horrified you may be aroused too, but writing in this way spreads an awful message.

The descriptions were shabby. The sentence structure wasn’t as strong as I’d expect from such a moving storyline. The dialogue was wooden. The whole thing was ridden with grammatical errors. I could pick so many examples, but I’m going to highlight some from the first chapter as these could perturb a potential reader straight away.

For one thing, the writing style is inadequate. There are continuously excessive repeats of the words in short spaces of time throughout the entire novel, as shown in the excerpt below.
“Dressed in sombre black, a solemn crowd gathered around the glossy rectangular frame being lowered cautiously into the damp ground. To all intents and purposes, the gathered crowd appeared as morose as the event they attended, but only God knew what they truly felt for the man lying within, in quiet repose, a stance entirely in contrast to his otherwise volatile nature, when alive. The priest, used to such moods at these events, stood at the head sombrely reciting a prayer from the Bible. But then thunder rang out loud and booming across the grey skies, and that was closely followed by a flash of highly artistic pyrotechnics. The listening mourners lost their purposeful sombre masks then and shifted impatiently on anxious feet, casting worried glances skywards as nature continued to threaten an outburst of a downpour.” This kind of error occurs multiple times even in the very same chapter: “They concealed the brush of purple and lacklustre green that surrounded those tearing green eyes”. Or in a more subtle way: “the straps of a scanty, scarcely there, itty bitty bit of a dress”. I get it. The dress is revealing. I find that describing something with multiple adjectives is okay if all the adjectives are different. To take a description of a dress: “The dress was revealing, in an eggshell white and made of the finest silk”. But to describe something using multiple synonyms is unnecessary and patronising.

Perhaps this is me being pedantic; repeated use of the same words in a non-effective way is one of my pet hates as an avid reader. This is not a criticism of the book itself, which I found to be lovely, but instead just a word of advice for the author for any revisions or future works they decide to create. It’s always important to create a good first impression, and as a writer this is a must. It’s so easy, if the first chapter isn’t engaging enough, to put a book down and forget about it…even if the plot itself is perfect! There were misplaced commas, spelling errors, speech marks that never closed.

For the reasons mentioned above, I rate this book 1 out of 4. I hope that the author goes on to be more tactful when exploring topics so emotional, or chooses to divert from these topics and focus on their forte: cheap smut.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JazmynElizabeth's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

"I hope that the author goes on to be more tactful when exploring topics so emotional, or chooses to divert from these topics and focus on their forte: cheap smut."

This is a great one-sentence summary! I guess you are not going to read the sequels; things don't get better.

I enjoyed your review and hope that your next book is more satisfying.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
JazmynElizabeth

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 05:12 "I hope that the author goes on to be more tactful when exploring topics so emotional, or chooses to divert from these topics and focus on their forte: cheap smut."

This is a great one-sentence summary! I guess you are not going to read the sequels; things don't get better.

I enjoyed your review and hope that your next book is more satisfying.
Thank you so much :D
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Your review was really interesting - I never noticed the repetitive words.
Although when I'm reading romance I don't read it for it's literary merit.
It's like when someone analyzes Twilight - you really are not suppose to hold it up to higher standards.
JazmynElizabeth

palilogy wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 14:48 Your review was really interesting - I never noticed the repetitive words.
It's like when someone analyzes Twilight - you really are not suppose to hold it up to higher standards.
Very true. Twilight and Fifty Shades are kind of my guilty pleasures - I know they're awfully written, but I love them anyway! Also, as Twilight is aimed at young adults, it's allowed to be written badly - it actually makes it easier to read.
However, I don't think Heartaches can be categorised in that way either, because my main problem was with the sexual assault and how it was made to be sensual. "Most erotic kiss ever"...yeah, no. It read like the author was writing a rape scene, but then changed their mind halfway through. Just a regular, kinky sex scene, no resistance, no unconsciousness, and though it may happen that way sometimes, rape victims get a lot of flak and get accused of "consenting but then changing their mind". By the author making the protagonist seem to consent and then change her mind afterwards, it spreads the wrong message about victims of incidents like this. The reader didn't know it was rape, it was just another sex scene, and then it wasn't. I just find that kind of tasteless.
What are your thoughts on the scene in question?
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

JazmynElizabeth wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:10
palilogy wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 14:48 Your review was really interesting - I never noticed the repetitive words.
Very true. Twilight and Fifty Shades are kind of my guilty pleasures - I know they're awfully written, but I love them anyway! Also, as Twilight is aimed at young adults, it's allowed to be written badly - it actually makes it easier to read.
However, I don't think Heartaches can be categorised in that way either, because my main problem was with the sexual assault and how it was made to be sensual. "Most erotic kiss ever"...yeah, no. It read like the author was writing a rape scene, but then changed their mind halfway through. Just a regular, kinky sex scene, no resistance, no unconsciousness, and though it may happen that way sometimes, rape victims get a lot of flak and get accused of "consenting but then changing their mind". By the author making the protagonist seem to consent and then change her mind afterwards, it spreads the wrong message about victims of incidents like this. The reader didn't know it was rape, it was just another sex scene, and then it wasn't. I just find that kind of tasteless.
Agreed, it's very bizarre. Overall, it sends out unhelpful messages about consent. It doesn't help, either, that the "drugs" are fictitious and the author didn't bother to imagine them and their effects properly.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I agree so much! Right now I am reviewing the second book in this series and it isn't anymore promising. Quiet the opposite, I feel like I am so disappointed with the author's approach to such a sensitive topic and story line that I am so puzzled with the rating. But, anyway, great review!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
JazmynElizabeth

Morgan Jones wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 20:22 I agree so much! Right now I am reviewing the second book in this series and it isn't anymore promising. Quiet the opposite, I feel like I am so disappointed with the author's approach to such a sensitive topic and story line that I am so puzzled with the rating. But, anyway, great review!
Thank you so so much :D
JazmynElizabeth

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 14:23
JazmynElizabeth wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:10
Agreed, it's very bizarre. Overall, it sends out unhelpful messages about consent. It doesn't help, either, that the "drugs" are fictitious and the author didn't bother to imagine them and their effects properly.
Thank you for your lovely comments and it's so nice that you guys agree - I was expecting to be argued with on it because it usually gets glowing reviews <3

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”