Review by Amy+++ -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Review by Amy+++ -- My Trip To Adele

Post by Amy+++ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When life gets you down, music can lift you up. In My Trip to Adele, six people tell their stories about love through the music of Adele. From a single Mother fighting with her ex-husband about their son; to a man trying to save his marriage; Adele's music plays a big role in all of their stories. Move from city to city and country to country with the characters of My Trip to Adele and Adele's music as all of them try to make it to an Adele concert in Verona.

I liked this book because I found myself traveling alongside with each character as they went on a trip around the world. Each city was described in such a way that the reader was able to see what the characters saw without being bombarded by useless words. Detailed and vibrant, no matter where the authors took you, you felt like you were there side by side with the characters watching them endure their love stories. What I did not like was at the end of the book the authors tell the characters stories instead of the characters telling the reader their stories. I felt like I was hearing what happened second hand instead of hearing it directly from the characters.

As much as I liked this book, I feel that I can only give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This book is supposed to be a romance (my favorite genre), but I found no such thing as I read My Trip to Adele. The flow of each different story was great as each chapter told you where you were in the world, so you were never guessing. Alas, none of this stopped me from enjoying the book.

I only found four errors within the book, mostly missing words. Other than that, the book was edited very well. One character that I sided with was Nadia, the single mother. She went through so much because of her ex-husband and it almost cost them their son's life at one point. While I was reading Nadia's story I felt angry, just as she probably had when her ex-husband pulled some low, pitiful acts to keep Nadia and her son from having a nice vacation. At one point, I wanted to scream and curse her ex-husband out for being a pathetic, terrible excuse for a father. Nadia's story will anger and rile up anyone who cannot tolerate a man, (if you can call him that) for treating his ex-wife and son they way he did. Nadia is a real hero, fighting for her and her son's rights.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to travel the world (without having to buy a plane ticket), and who enjoys a book with light romance and great music.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amy+++'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I haven’t read the book, but I’ve seen other reviews that said that Nadia’s story was the most significant. I shall put it on my ’to read’ list.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Thank you so much. Nadia's story was really hard to read without getting angry. I would suggest a stress ball or taking a break in between reading her stories. (Laughing Out Loud!) :D
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Interesting review - I agree with you on Nadia.
I think that was also a problem with the book though. It tried to have too many characters and storylines and was not successful.
It could have focused better and had a greater impact.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

I agree. It would have been better with fewer characters but at least when you went from each story you were never confused. I think the book could have been better if it was just about Nadia and her son and Yasser and his wife. I felt Elias was an unnecessary story to tell and that it slowed the flow of the book.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. I have just started reading this book and so have only just met all the characters.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the great review! This seems like a fascinating read, especially if Adele is present.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Thanks for your review! As you said is easy to great angry for Nadia's ex-husband, but even now in some parts of the world this still happens. I really enjoy this book.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

A great book to read on a rainy day and relax, and finish once you start. It moves slowly so you will be able to stay relaxed.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Nice review...I had actually read the opening pages of this book and I liked how it described the streets of Rome and the main square in Marrakesh, as it seemed very true to life. It does sound quite an interesting set of tales so I might give it a try at some point.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

It is very good. When I read it, I felt like I was there with every character. Such a great way to travel.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Nadia's story made me want to throw the book at least a handful of times because of her ex. But, Nadia is a strong woman and made it through. Any woman in that situation
in that culture, would have given up and let her ex control her. I am happy that she didn't for the most part.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do believe this is a goo story and that you wrote a great review. But I see that you did not like this book because you felt like it was like viewing the characters second hand. Yet, for me with the protagonist narrating the story it felt like I was looking or viewing everything from their views.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

The last chapter made me feel that I was hearing everything second hand. But everyone takes away something different from the same story. I'm glad that you liked it though.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

All the stories were good. Wherever the authors took you, it felt like you were really there.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”