Review by jgraney8 -- The last Assassination

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jgraney8 -- The last Assassination

Post by jgraney8 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The last Assassination" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Assassination by James E. Doucette uses the accidental bombing by an American drone aircraft of a Syrian hospital in the Syrian Civil War as the focal point. Two Kurdish mercenary assassins, Henri and Philip Bourdeau, originally trained by Mossad, who work under one name - The Dagger. They have grown tired of their mercenary work.

The cast of main characters includes another Mossad trained operative, Mark Plotnik, a high powered lawyer and lobbyist with dual citizenship, Israel and United States America. Mark seeks to solve the puzzle of how the drone attack by American forces could have gone so wrong and hit a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Syria. His interest stems from his son’s role as pilot of the drone who stands to take the blame for higher officers’ mistakes. 

The book moves around the world including incidents in Saudi Arabia, Syria, Israel, Russia, England, Finland, and Austria. The Last Assassination fills in the backgrounds of the main characters well. These main characters act when necessary with almost flawless perfection in carrying out their murders and related activities. They act in an amoral universe where means often justifies ends when battling enemies trying to weaken and attack the U.S. and Israel. In the meantime, bureaucrats and politicians perform their careful algebra of buck-passing and blame-placing while avoiding confronting the real enemies. Every mission gets accomplished quickly without human or mechanical error. Enemies are dispatched with cold-blooded efficiency. 

The writing style is crisp and precise. Characters speak much like the narrative with no real differentiation among the characters. Dialogue often consists of direct statements that advance the narrative but rarely include humor or figurative language, except for the nom de guerre of the assassins. That said, the writer rarely makes a grammatical mistake like the faulty parallelism of “The Iraqis, Russians, and Iran,” or a fragment like “Another two hours sitting in a boxcar in the Nevada desert, pretending to be a pilot.” Perhaps the grammatical control comes from the tightly constructed sentences that rarely extend beyond two clauses. 

If you like lots of action in current hotspots with occasional looks at the scenery, this book will fill that bill. If you desire a thriller that explores the minds and motivations of these characters, you need to find another book. Since I prefer a deeper insight into human thinking and more suspense than every mission executed without problems, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is a relatively short novel, the book moves along well and can be read with ease. The foreign settings add flavor. In other words, it provides some safe escapism.

The last Assassination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jgraney8's review? Post a comment saying so!
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I think I’ll avoid this one though. The characters sound rather wooden.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

American drone attack hitting a doctor seems to be a very interesting plot. I am sorry that it was not as suspenseful as you had anticipated.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

What a pity this book fell a bit flat. It's a great premise, but I agree that showing more than telling in a book like this is important. Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a good premise, but I like deep characters.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 10:39 American drone attack hitting a doctor seems to be a very interesting plot. I am sorry that it was not as suspenseful as you had anticipated.
The premise seemed so promising. Thanks for the response.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 21:40 It sounds like a good premise, but I like deep characters.
I do too. I like a few flaws in my characters too. If not, I find it hard to relate to the characters.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 16:30 What a pity this book fell a bit flat. It's a great premise, but I agree that showing more than telling in a book like this is important. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for reinforcing my point. Showing is so important to put us as the reader into the story.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 10:39 American drone attack hitting a doctor seems to be a very interesting plot. I am sorry that it was not as suspenseful as you had anticipated.
Suspense seems to come from problems in the execution as well as in the threats. The execution of each mission went off without a hitch. It might be good for the characters in the book, but it certainly makes reading about it less involving.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”