Review by anwidmer -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by anwidmer -- Demon Freaks

Post by anwidmer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Freaks is a well-written thrilling horror story with a whole lot of suspense and paranormal activity thrown in for good measure. The story begins with four high school friends whose only care in the world, at the moment, is studying for the SATs which are to take place the following morning. When they make plans to study at one of the friends cabins it is without the knowledge that their lives will change forever. They show up to the cabin to study unknowingly setting their night on a course they could have only imagined in their wildest dreams. As they each encounter their own level of Paranormal Activity they are left questioning their prior belief systems or if they even had a sound one to begin with. They must each reach deep within themselves to find an inner strength none knew existed before, as they face an immeasurably evil force of destruction. The author expertly winds us through a tale of destruction and demise, while keeping us guessing to the very end.

Normally I can easily foreshadow where the author will be taking me through the clues left in a book. While there were many clues left throughout this story they weren’t blatantly obvious. I found myself not only unable to foreshadow any of the events, but also shocked and amazed by the many twists the story takes. These twist and turns truly take you by surprise.

On a personal level I found my mind wandering. I thought to myself whether some of the premise of the story could actually exist. I was actually asking myself about my own belief systems regarding faith and the supernatural. The author does a wonderful job writing a story so unbelievable while, at the same time, keeping a level of believability present at all times.

Have you ever watched a movie or read a book and thought “No way that could have never happened in real life,” or even “that’s just ridiculous.” Well this was not one such book. Every turn of events made perfect sense and seemed very real. The author expertly ties all ends leaving you both satisfied and without unanswered questions.

I would rate this story a 4 out of 4 stars. I only found one grammatical error. It seemed professionally edited while the transitions in the story line are smooth and flowed well. The characterization was thorough without boring you with unnecessary details. The result was a book I simply could not put down.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like anwidmer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Horror is not always my thing, but your interesting review makes me curious. I like when twists and turns in a novel take me by surprise, and the author ties all ends.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Its not as much horror as i would of expected by the title, more supernatural then anything. I guess its true whatbthey say about judging a book by its cover! Lol
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

This sounds like a really fun and interesting book! I like how it seemed more realistic than usual - although realism isn't something I'm necessarily bothered about in a book, it's definitely a different way of doing things.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

meadhbh wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 22:10 This sounds like a really fun and interesting book! I like how it seemed more realistic than usual - although realism isn't something I'm necessarily bothered about in a book, it's definitely a different way of doing things.
Yea just certain parts where he could have really gone off the grid into the paranormal he instead kept it on an even keel of believability. That made you want to continue on. Thank you for reading my review =)
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book! Personally, I found there were a few unanswered questions at the end of the book, nothing major enough that I was left unsatisfied with the ending, but enough that I felt Hardison could potentially continue on with the book as a series.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 07:17 I'm glad you enjoyed the book! Personally, I found there were a few unanswered questions at the end of the book, nothing major enough that I was left unsatisfied with the ending, but enough that I felt Hardison could potentially continue on with the book as a series.
Thank you for the comment! Yes I agree while I felt it was wrapped up well there are a few indicators for a series as well. No obvious cliff hangers though which can drove a person nuts with anticipation lol

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”