Review by Cecilia_L -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review by Cecilia_L -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In William H. Cole’s Guardian of Deceit, Darwin Hastings is a seventeen-year-old orphan who has lived with his caring aunt since his parents’ death five years before. When his aunt’s health worsens, he is forced to go and live with his cousin, Luther Pinnelli, a professional football player. Despite the fact that Darwin has a trust fund, Luther insists that Darwin must fend for himself and treats him more like an employee, rather than a family member. Darwin rises to the challenge and soon earns the trust of the new people in his life. This coming-of-age story follows Darwin into adulthood as he continues to overcome the many obstacles that are placed in his path and pursues his goal of becoming a doctor like his father.

The beginning of this book intrigued me. Darwin is mature beyond his years and is as endearing as his new guardian, Luther is despicable. Despite his obvious wealth and the fact that he lives in a mansion, Luther requires Darwin to sleep in an old storeroom and work for tips. This is presented as somewhat of a mystery, yet to be revealed. For me, that’s where the hook ended. While there is certainly no shortage of twists and turns, for a saga that included scandals involving murder, gambling, drug use, multiple affairs, and domestic violence, it failed to climax.

Though there were many characters in the story, only several were well developed and relatable: Mrs. Thomas, Granny, Laszlo, and Darwin, when he is first introduced. As the book continues, Darwin’s depth wanes and his character seems unrealistically perfect--almost robotic at times.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The beginning held my attention and I finished it quickly because I felt compelled to continue reading until the multiple storylines connected, which unfortunately didn’t really happen. There were gaps in the plot, which felt disjointed and the ending was abrupt. I was really disappointed with the author’s depiction of mostly weak female characters, who all needed to be rescued one way or another. In addition, there is a robbery that can only be described as racially stereotypical to the point of being offensive.

If you like coming-of-age stories and want a light read, you may enjoy it. On the other hand, if you prefer a faster pace and are frustrated when the plot leaves loose ends, I can’t honestly recommend it.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
hansonuko
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by hansonuko »

Well, Cecilia, I like your review. It is quite very honest of you. Though, I haven't read the book, this review is a trigger, since I'm also writing a book.
Omotego14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omotego14 »

very intriguing story and plot account
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This is definitely not the book for me. I don't think I would enjoy reading about a character like Darwin. Great review, mate!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I reviewed this book too and Darwin’s perfection drove me mad. Not to mention the neurotic women who kept crying on his shoulder.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

It's a shame that the various plot strands didn't come together, as this sounds like it could have been a very interesting book otherwise!
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I love stories that feature a person rising from challenges and obstacles, because aren't we all trying so hard to do the same thing? Great review by the way, loved it.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

hansonuko wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 10:58 Well, Cecilia, I like your review. It is quite very honest of you. Though, I haven't read the book, this review is a trigger, since I'm also writing a book.
Thank you, and best wishes with your book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 12:42 Great review. I reviewed this book too and Darwin’s perfection drove me mad. Not to mention the neurotic women who kept crying on his shoulder.
Thank you. My sentiments exactly!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

meadhbh wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 22:05 It's a shame that the various plot strands didn't come together, as this sounds like it could have been a very interesting book otherwise!
That so true. There was even potential for more of a mystery.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nmesoma wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 19:36 I love stories that feature a person rising from challenges and obstacles, because aren't we all trying so hard to do the same thing? Great review by the way, loved it.
Me too. That was one of the reasons I selected this book. Thanks for reading!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ever_Reading wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 13:23 This is definitely not the book for me. I don't think I would enjoy reading about a character like Darwin. Great review, mate!
I understand. Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Omotego14 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 17:25 very intriguing story and plot account
Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”