Review by AWANDO OGUTU -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Review by AWANDO OGUTU -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Take Tomorrow" by Gretchen Jeannette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War is nasty, barbaric and Brutish. Lives have been lost, families left homeless and populace forced to starve all in the name of war. War is truly a bad thing. In the novel The Devil Take Tomorrow, war is the predominant theme. The leading characters Ethan and Maddie gives their all to secure Victory in the American revolution. They are motivated by the desire to carry on their parents dreams of a free America. Both of their parents had been victims of the war.

In the novel author portrays the Americans desire to get their independence and the efforts made by them towards achieving it. They want to break free from the British colonization. The British on the other hand are unwilling to let go of its colony and this compel the parties to resort to war. If diplomacy fails then there's no option but to resort to force. War drags for a long time and end when the Americans finally get their long desired independence. Free at last, great God almighty America is free at last.

The author's introduction of love amidst fear and tension surrounding the war is just marvellous. Maddie and Ethan falls in love during the war. Sinclair plays a matchmaker between the two love birds. He had wanted Maddie to get married to America rebels not knowing yhat Ethan was an ardent America loyalist sent to spy on the Britons. War is after all not a completely damn event. The manner in which their relationship blossoms up to the point of marriage is full of romance. As the say goes, people find love in strange places.

I also liked the author's display of suspense in the novel. He leaves readers hanging for what happens next many a times. This brings the desire of just wanting to read the novel more and more. The fate of many characters are hidden. For instance, all through the novel Maddie's father is painted to be long dead only to learn in the end that he had survived the torturous imprisonment.

However, I disliked the author's over description of sex scenes. This may not augur well with a section of readers who may be pissed of by such scenarios.
All an all, I would recommend this book to students of history who are curious on the happening of the past. The novel offers a lot of insight on how the Americans fought and won their independence. On the contrary, I would advice against the book introduction to War victims and survivors. Such would be a recipe for rekindling back the memories some of which may be unpleasant.

The book is well written except for a few typing errors witnessed therein. An example is the word 'manoeuvre' which is spelt many times in the novel as' maneuver'. Having said all that, I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The English used is simple and easily understandable and moreover it has a smooth storyline from the beginning to the end.

The Devil Take Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like AWANDO OGUTU's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Not big on war books and the over description of the sex scenes has been a downer for me lately so I will pass on this book, but thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”