Review by chita betty -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
chita betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chita-betty.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by chita betty -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by chita betty » 13 Jun 2018, 10:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday. A Story of Reincarnation is a romance novel written by Samyann. The story begins with Amanda, an antique dealer, rescuing Mark, a policeman from a train accident. In the course of the near death experience, an antique clock from a nearby antiques shop caught Amanda's attention which she purchased after being released from the hospital. Amanda and Mark both felt as if they had known each other well enough before though they were certain they had never met. To solve this mystery, they decided to try past life therapy, a form of hypnosis that takes the person to their past life. Amanda's aunt, Mary, a professional shrink, helps them carry out the therapy. The mystery of where they had met, the intrigues of the hypnotic sessions and whether Amanda successfully chase Mark out of her life are among the most prominent of the intertwining storylines that comprise this riveting narrative.

The book is about 352 pages long. The narrative alternates between their present day and nineteen century USA with the confederate war and the the great Chicago fire. The author does a great job enlightening ignorant readers like me on the concept of Past Life is Therapy (PLT). With the help of PLT the reader is given a history lesson on the confederate war and the great Chicago fire. For non Americans like me, it was my very first time to read about it.

One of the things I enjoyed most in the book was the characterisation. The use of third person narrative in the story really helped the reader to understand and sympathise with the characters. As Bonnie tells her story from the confederate war through the great Chicago fire and after, we better understand and sometimes sympathise with Amanda.

The main themes explored in this novel are love, struggle and perseverance. Amanda and Mark obviously hard deep feelings for each other but Amanda's past experiences made her fight against any relationship with him. As we read the book and come across the struggles and pain of both Amanda and to a larger extent, Bonnie, we better appreciate her reluctance. The perseverance and to a certain extent, endurance of Mark is commendable. It is a testament of true love which in this day and time, we most often than not find only in novels and movies.

Overall, I would rate Yesterday, A Story of Reincarnation by Samyann, 4 out of 4 stars. I gave a perfect rating because I was given some good history lessons and was also introduced to a whole new concept (PLT). I also did not find any grammatical error. I would recommend this book to lovers of a sweet love story. I would recommend people who are not versed with PLT to keep an open mind and maybe learn a thing or two.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like chita betty's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”