Review by denie2019 -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
denie2019
Currently Reading: The Matriarch Saved
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denie2019.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Review by denie2019 -- Demon Freaks

Post by denie2019 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison can be described using three words: action, horror and comedy. The book has over four hundred pages that will have you laughing right from beginning to end. The plot is quite captivating as four students and bandmates find themselves battling demons on the night they had set aside to study for exams. To make matters worse, this isn’t just any exam: it happens to be the SATs!

Demon Freaks starts like a typical teen novel with students in class making fun of their teacher and disrupting class in one way or another. In just a few pages the adventure begins as the classmates/bandmates twin brothers Bing and Ron Slaughter, Meat and Kaitlyn find themselves in the middle of a battle that they never imagined could exist.

I found Demon Freaks quite entertaining as the scenes came alive with Hardison’s elaborate descriptions. I loved the fact that the book did not waste time getting into the main plot and once it began, there was never a dull moment. There was fast paced action mixed with some horror but despite all that, Hardison managed to keep the book light and entertaining through comic relief.

Although Demon Freaks is a fun and entertaining novel there are a few things that I did not like about it. First, there are countless times when it seemed as if a sentence or page or paragraph was cut off and after that I was never sure whether I have moved on to the next paragraph, page or chapter. This made the reading process frustrating. Second, because of all the action happening on almost every page there was no room to get to know the characters better since the novel focused more on the scenes than the actual characters individually. Lastly, some of the descriptions seemed a bit over the top and instead of them coming out as funny, they made the scenes unbelievable.

I am giving Demon Freaks a rating of 2 out of 4 stars because although I really enjoyed the plot and loved the characters, the cut off sentences took away all the fun out of reading the book. However, I would still recommend this book to anyone who loves teen novels and anything to do with the supernatural. I think that even those readers who do not usually find teen novels interesting might be pleasantly surprised by Demon Freaks because apart from all the unedited parts, it really is a good book.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like denie2019's review? Post a comment saying so!
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I agree that even though young adult, it isnt yoir avarage YA book. It really is a book for all. I felt he tied all ends up nicley leaving you satified with the ending.
denie2019

Post by denie2019 »

You're right and I loved the ending .It definitely won't leave any readers frustrated.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I really enjoy the dark comedy and campiness of this book. The tropes that were alluded to kind of had an Evil Dead feel to them, except less explicit.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
denie2019

Post by denie2019 »

I agree. The dark comedy made me think horror novels like this could become one of my favourites.
denie2019

Post by denie2019 »

You're right about that. I've even looked for a few horror novels since I read this one.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”