Review by Corhan2 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Corhan2 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Corhan2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can I Be Frank is a very humorous novel that follows the story of Father Francis Gold, or rather Father Frank, as he wishes to be known. Father Frank is a young English (British) Catholic Priest invited by the Diocese of Central Florida to take over at Saint Francis of Assisi Church, Palmetto Lake Florida.

Of course, as it always goes, the first Mass that Father Frank held was attended by almost everyone in the congregation. After this Mass, he meets Carly, the wife of Gene Charmois. Her mission is to seduce Father Frank. This situation is very funny for his friend, Father William, the Vicar General, and not so funny to the parish administrator, Martha.

In every story, there must be a villain and in this novel, it is Gene Charmois. Gene Charmois is a businessman and one of the big financial contributors to the parish and Diocese. Because of this, he thinks that the parish, as well as the priest, belongs to him. Unfortunately, Father Frank made an enemy of Gene Charmois and soon after found himself to be the subject of some unfound rumours. Father Frank lost the support of his congregation as well as the diocese.

Father Frank and Martha decided that life must go on as normal, even though nobody pitches for Mass and other sermons held by the priest. They get unexpected help from Judge Karl Matthews and Ginny, a doctor and good friend of Martha. Together they rescue Mexican migrants living in disgusting conditions and also discover some illegal operations going on, on the farm of Gene Charmois.

What I like about this novel is that it is written in the first person. This is done in such a way that you cannot help but become part of Father Frank’s world. You go through each situation with him and feel everything that he is feeling. At times I could not help but laugh out loud. I also liked the fact that even though it is a humorous novel, there are a whole lot of life lessons to be learned. The novel is also written from a religious point of view and each chapter starts with a verse from the Bible that is applicable to the situation at hand.

I feel that the author could let us have a bit more information about the characters. The descriptions of the characters are done very sparingly and if asked, I will not be able to tell you how Father Frank or Martha looks.

A big plus is the fact that the book was definitely professionally edited as I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and can with a clean conscious recommend this book to anyone who likes a good comedy with some drama in between.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Corhan2's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This looks really interesting! With humour and a fast pace, I’m definitely intrigued. Thanks for the great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thank you for nice review on humorous book and really i love to read such book and your score indicates me to read it on priority
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Thanks for this review. It sounds like it could be a fun read, with enough real-life to keep it interesting.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I’m not sure I can handle a book about church drama right now. Thanks for a great review though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”