Review by Sahani Nimandra -- The Buried Secrets of Peonies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Buried Secrets of Peonies" by Mernegar Dorgoly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“As we get closer to the 30th Anniversary of the 1988 Massacre that eternally silenced at least 3800 men and women in less than four months, there are important questions that remain unanswered: the exact number of victims is uncertain; the burial locations of at least 1200 casualties are uncharted; and the identities of most people who were responsible for these killings are unknown...” (Dorgoly, p.12)
When I read the above passage, it reminded me of the World War 2 documentary films that I watched. The documentary films were about different victims and their dark experiences. Each story in this read reminded me of ways how people suffered, while the world watched.

Mernegar Dorgoly has honored the people who died in the 1988 Massacre through her book The Buried Secrets Of Peonies which is a collection of 8 short stories. Each story provides a descriptive read, and each word filled with desperation in search of freedom. It’s a gut wreaking read that I would not recommend to sensitive people.

It's a story that will make you hear the endless cries of a mother for her child. It’s a story written inside the prison walls. A story that tells about a women’s stolen innocence. It's about a story of a daughter who never returned. Finally, it's about the secrets that lie within the grave (the story which touched me the most).

After I read the official review, I though to analyze this book myself. Even though I had an idea what this book was about I never expected it to be a deeply emotional challenging read. I rate The Buried Secrets Of Peonies 4 out of 4 stars. It was a touching, sorrowful read about the harsh reality that lies within a country at war. This story depicts the truth about how people suffer because of a group of ignorant and selfish people who put their needs and opinions before others.

In the start, the author takes us back to her days which was filled with innocence before she brought us back to the reality. The author's reference to death committees reminded me of the cold Nazi death camps.

The style of writing was free and well versed. Through each sentence, I saw what the author felt, and through her, I saw the pain of her people. The author was successful in executing a clear direction to her readers so her readers could understand what she wants to say. It was the unknown that lingered within her words.

The story takes us back to the political unrest in 1978 - 1988 between Iran and Iraq. In 1979 when the Iranian revolution abolished the Pahlavi dynasty by replacing it with the Islamic Theocratic Government people were killed mercilessly due to political reasons. Throughout the process families were kept in the dark, visitations were banned, and the prisoners were cut off from the outside world (Dorgoly, p.11), thus begin their untold stories.

The Buried Secrets of Peonies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. You are braver than me. I looked at the book and decided it was too dark. Nevertheless, these occurrences in our history need to be written about so that they are never forgotten.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sahani Nimandra

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 04:30 Great review. You are braver than me. I looked at the book and decided it was too dark. Nevertheless, these occurrences in our history need to be written about so that they are never forgotten.
Actually yes, I admire the author's courage, her ability to say out loud about the suffering of her people is just to great. I agree that these books should exist to remind us about the reality and that this should never ever happen again. Thank you for commenting!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
elwhiz
Favorite Book: Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
Currently Reading: Fire Girl
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by elwhiz »

The things that happened during the world war were no good news, it'd be surprising if this book werent written in an emotional manner. . .by the way a great review youve got there.
Sahani Nimandra

elwhiz wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 05:00 The things that happened during the world war were no good news, it'd be surprising if this book werent written in an emotional manner. . .by the way a great review youve got there.
I have watched a lot documentary films related to world war 2 and this read never made the experience less different. The emotional impact is still the same. Thank you for commenting!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I remember when this one was a Book of the Day book. I think it's good that the author wrote a book that honors people who died in the 1988 Massacre. It's always important to remember to not only honor those who suffered (and families who still suffer), but to hopefully not repeat the same mistake. This seems like a powerful and emotional read, especially when it's in the viewpoint of those who are imprisoned. I love when authors write so well that they make you feel what's happening, and it's great to hear that this is what happened here. Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed this read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Sahani Nimandra

hsimone wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 15:41 I remember when this one was a Book of the Day book. I think it's good that the author wrote a book that honors people who died in the 1988 Massacre. It's always important to remember to not only honor those who suffered (and families who still suffer), but to hopefully not repeat the same mistake. This seems like a powerful and emotional read, especially when it's in the viewpoint of those who are imprisoned. I love when authors write so well that they make you feel what's happening, and it's great to hear that this is what happened here. Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed this read!
Thank you so much for commenting! Yes, when you read this book you feel the pain of its victims to the core of your heart. It was a great read.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Political and revolutionary issues are not my cups of tea. The story reminded me of the mass murder that happened in the Philippines. It was because of the greed of power that resulted in killing even the innocent ones. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book and thanks for the emotional review.
Sahani Nimandra

Dolor wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:25 Political and revolutionary issues are not my cups of tea. The story reminded me of the mass murder that happened in the Philippines. It was because of the greed of power that resulted in killing even the innocent ones. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book and thanks for the emotional review.
I'm glad you found my review resourceful. I hope it revoked the stories of the past. Thank you for commenting!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review. It seems like a heartrending yet informative read and sounds like a story that will stay with you for the times to come.
Sahani Nimandra

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 00:52 Thank you for the detailed review. It seems like a heartrending yet informative read and sounds like a story that will stay with you for the times to come.
Trust me it will. Thank you for commenting!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the thorough review. It is depressing that while the masterminds of wars and civil unrests live comfortably, the commoners' lives are turned upside down as they bear the brunt of the crimes unleashed on them.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I've heard only wonderful things about this book. I'm glad the horrors depicted are brought to light. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 10:36 Thanks for the thorough review. It is depressing that while the masterminds of wars and civil unrests live comfortably, the commoners' lives are turned upside down as they bear the brunt of the crimes unleashed on them.
It is such a sad affair to be hold. In 1948, at the end of the war it was reported that there were 2 million abortions in this world. Such a chaos! Thank you for commenting!
Sahani Nimandra

SABRADLEY wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 16:41 I've heard only wonderful things about this book. I'm glad the horrors depicted are brought to light. Thanks for a wonderful review!
I neither showed the wonders of this book nor the horrors of this book, I just showed the reality of this book. Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”