Review by DeeEss -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
DeeEss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deeess.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by DeeEss -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by DeeEss » 11 Jun 2018, 16:54

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday, as the title suggests, is a love story woven into a background of re-incarnation. We meet Amanda Parker in the opening line of the book speaking to her cat Oprah. The story moves quickly as Amanda is thrown into a chance meeting with Mark Callahan. Both Amanda and Mark instantly feel an inexplicable familiarity with each other. Unable to explain this connection they decide to explore past life regression. Amanda undergoes the process and the reader is thrown into Amanda's past life story which unfolds in 1862. Bonnie’s journey now begins and runs parallel to the present day tale of love. The stories then continue to unravel with traumas being dealt with in both the past and the present, connecting Amanda's present day fears with her soul's losses and past experiences and there undeniable conclusion.

I really enjoyed Bonnie’s story and it is introduced to the reader at just the right time to keep one turning pages in anticipation. The exciting account of Bonnie in 1862 is intricate and keeps one guessing as to who Mark was in Amanda’s previous life. I did find that the relationship between Mark and Amanda develops very quickly, and although there is an indisputable attraction between the two characters the romance between the two characters lacks some depth.

Amanda embarks on her exploration of her past life almost a little too conveniently as her Godmother, Mary, happens to know all about the process.However, Mary's character brings some charming moments to the present day story with her wit and wisdom. Apart from a few leaps between chapters in parts of the book the story of Amanda and Mark can be followed easily and makes for effortless reading.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The storytelling style is simple yet creates vivid descriptions of surroundings. The author intertwines her stories well and makes some interesting proposals about re-incarnation. She roots Amanda’s narrative in some well-known places in Chicago making the setting for the characters believable. Bonnie’s journey comes alive in the backdrop of the Civil war describing the trauma of war seen through a child’s eyes. It is an entertaining read as I found the author’s writing style to flow nicely. I feel that it is a book for woman of all ages who enjoy love stories, but also the intellectual challenge behind the idea of re-incarnation.

The book captures one's interest and keeps the reader wanting more at each turn. One can identify with the characters and it is easy to get caught up in the two parallel stories as it leads the reader into a world of war, historical events then back into a present day love story. The reader is captured by the premise that there is someone out there for everyone…and you may already know them.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DeeEss's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”