Review by Mely918 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Review by Mely918 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is a fictional tale set in Washington State. It follows the story of Tom Olsen and his Native American companions, William and Myra. Just as the trio were getting ready to set off on a trip over to the Olympic Peninsula to visit Tom’s grandfather’s grave his ex-wife, Ruth, arrives at his doorstep with a granddaughter he never knew existed. The timing couldn’t be anymore inconvenient. Tom’s granddaughter, Sarah, is initially a surly thirteen-year-old with a rebellious nature. Rather than halt the trip, William convinces Tom to bring Sarah along with them, to which Tom reluctantly agrees.

The story follows the four of them as they embark on their journey. It is revealed that Tom possesses an artifact known as an atlatl, which he had taken from the Olympic Peninsula years ago. He intends to return it to the site from which he found it, but Myra tries to convince him otherwise. She wants to prevent a corporation known as Buckhorn from damaging the land that she believes belonged to her ancestors. The atlatl could be used as proof that native people had lived on those lands thousands of years ago, making it a sacred site. During their trip, Sarah goes missing from their campsite. She returns abruptly eight days later with a story about her misadventure during her time away.

There were many things about Strong Heart that made it a highly enjoyable read for me. It has a very promising plot that remains, for the most part, consistently engaging all throughout. The author gives vivid descriptions of the scenery as well as realistic dialogue between the characters. I was able to lose myself while reading this book multiple times. I also liked the inclusion of the theme science vs. belief. It helped give insight into the strength of the Native Americans’ faith in their legends, while also providing good character conflict. It is a theme that is still very much relevant today, which gives the story a thought-provoking quality.

However, there were things about Strong Heart that I did not like as much. My main issue with it were the points in which Sarah tells of what happened to her during her disappearance. It felt unnecessarily long and drawn-out, and became confusing at times, too. A lot of new characters were thrown in at once, which made it difficult for me to keep up with it. It also felt out of character the way Sarah narrated her story. I think this part of the book would have been better if the reader could have experienced these things with Sarah instead of having her tell us about it. Additionally, I would have liked to learn more about Tom, William, and Myra before Sarah was introduced. It felt too sudden to have her show up in just the first chapter.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a perfect 4 out of 4 because Sarah’s story took away from the plot. It was difficult for me to get through those parts of the book. However, it was still an overall good read, and I believe there are other readers that would find this book just as engaging as I did. If you are looking for a story about adventure with some native mysticism to it, then this book is a good pick.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Galnius »

Strong Heart seems like a very interesting read. For the parts with Sarah, it appears almost as if a separate book would be more prudent.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your well-written review. I also read and reviewed, and even loved this book, but I do understand and respect the fact that each one of us has our own preferences and perspectives of what makes a good read, for instance among others. The next two books in the series are already in the pipeline so there's a good chance that your curiosity about the other characters' lives may already be satiated.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I had a very similar reaction to the book! I also found the way that Sarah's story was told was too inaccessible and interrupted the flow. You're absolutely right that a better device would have been for us to have joined Sarah on her journey..
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Her dreams did seem long and confusing at times. I also wish the ending was a little better. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The fact that the story has an engaging promising plot makes the book a must-read for me.Wonderful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”