Review by Kemunto lucy -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Kemunto lucy -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Post by Kemunto lucy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Illusions and Ink Spills" by Divya Hirani.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetry is an important aspect in passing stories through generations, soul searching and self expression. Of Illusions And Ink Spills is a collection of free verse poems which give an artistic expression - by Divya Hirani. Divya is an overseas dentist in the UK and writing is her passion. This book was published by Cyberwit.net .

Divya as a young professional and an immigrant in a foreign land goes through hardships before she settles in a new country. She uses her experience through her poetry book to show how difficult it is to adopt and adjust to the way of life of the new people and their strict government laws.

Some poems are short and precise while others are lengthy. The length of each poem varies from the other. Some consider rhyme while others don't. Each poem has it's own intensity, some are flat, others are so full of life which others are confusing. Since it's a freestyle poetry book, rhyme is not much considered. There are so many interesting pieces in Divya's poems which address different themes like faith and dream chasing.

The theme of faith is relatable to situations where one needs strength from a higher being to face struggles. During difficult times it's usually twice as hard to believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel and this requires a lot of faith or intervention from a superior power to get through.

The author's voice is outstanding and commanding. I loved that there is an introduction included at the beginning of the collection. This enables one to know what to expect in the poems. The tone used in individual poems is strong and captivating. Divya's creativity is evident and her work is insightful. The book covers the outlook of life of young people in this generation and the author explains it in a real world manner. The inclusion of table of contents is an added bonus.

While I found so many interesting pieces in this collection, some were not really helpful. Some poems were lengthy, tedious and difficult to understand. At first I thought that this book was a piece of cake since it's only forty pages but later I realised that it was much more. I had to read and reread some poems for me to comprehend. I love straight forward poems therefore the complicated texts were not appealing to me. The deep readers would love this aspect though.

The poems were well written and there were no grammatical and punctuation errors. The topics addressed are lessons especially to an immigrant in a social media influenced country. The poems also encourage dream chasing and how to face challenges. I wouldn't give the book a perfect rating because I couldn't understand some poems therefore I felt like I could not write a complete review, I therefore give this book a 3 out of 4 stars rating.

I recommend this book to any mature reader who loves poetry and not just poetry but deep thought provoking poetry.

Of Illusions and Ink Spills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kemunto lucy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I've seen this book around, but as I'm not a poetry fan, I haven't read it. It's great to hear that the author's voice is commanding and that her writing is creative. Too bad about the long, tedious poems that were difficult to understand. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one, though! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kemunto lucy

Post by Kemunto lucy »

hsimone wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 04:02 I've seen this book around, but as I'm not a poetry fan, I haven't read it. It's great to hear that the author's voice is commanding and that her writing is creative. Too bad about the long, tedious poems that were difficult to understand. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one, though! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Most pieces were awesome. Thanks for reading and commenting.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review! I'm glad that you mostly enjoyed the poems, despite the verbosity of some. However, I like topics which make you think, so I'm definitely interested in this.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the insightful review. It makes me want to give the book a try, though poetry is not usually my cup of tea!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kemunto lucy

Post by Kemunto lucy »

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 02:43 Thanks for the detailed review! I'm glad that you mostly enjoyed the poems, despite the verbosity of some. However, I like topics which make you think, so I'm definitely interested in this.
You should try it then. Thanks for commenting.
Kemunto lucy

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Cotwani wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 11:14 Thanks for the insightful review. It makes me want to give the book a try, though poetry is not usually my cup of tea!
You should check it out sometime.
Thanks for reading my review and commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”