Review by Ever_Reading -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Ever_Reading -- The Warramunga's War

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War is a historical fiction book written by Greg Kater. The events in the book are inspired by his father’s experiences in the Middle East and some of his own. The book includes actual historical events and figures within its fictional storyline. If you are a fan of Khaled Hosseini or books that are similar to his, you will have a good time reading this one.

The book kicks off in 1941 in Syria, where Corporal Jack O’Brien, who is nicknamed Jacko, rescues an injured Lieutenant James Munro, also known as Jamie, during a fiery battle between the Australian troops and the Nazi Vichy French. Jamie and Jacko quickly become friends and their friendship strengthens when they are transferred to Egypt, in order to help Captain Johnny Cook track down German agents who are in cahoots with Rommel’s Afrika Corps. In Egypt, their seemingly easy mission turns into an unforgettable adventure full of beautiful ladies, dodgy criminals, and breathtaking views.

If you are looking for a good laugh, this is the perfect book for you. The characters, especially Jacko, are funny and a joy to read about. Even Jamie has his moments. For example, one time when he was exhausted, he says, “I’d be just as happy to swag down near the riverbank somewhere. I could sleep on a clothesline in a cyclone tonight.” I had a laughing fit imagining him, with all his muscles, balancing on a clothing line.

Friendship and love are big themes in the book. The author weaves them into the story skillfully through the way the characters interact with each other. Jacko’s and Jamie’s friendship is genuine and a true example of “bromance,” as we say nowadays. Fans of romance will also enjoy witnessing Jacko fall in love with Monique, a beaut he meets while touring Egypt.

A unique aspect of The Warramunga’s War is the diversity of its characters. The book features Aborigines, Germans, Arabs, French men and women, Americans and many others! The author does a good job of portraying the characters' accents and native languages in the book. So, if you are open-minded and interested in picking up a few French words and phrases like I did, consider giving this book a try.

My main criticism of the book is that it is too wordy and repetitive at times. This makes some of the dialogue awkward, especially in instances where for a simple question, a character responds with too much information. There are also situations that could have been described with fewer words. For example, towards the end, one of the characters, Nancy, gets bitten by a snake on her thigh. As Jamie gets the snakebite kit, Jacko explains to Nancy that she was bitten by a red-bellied black snake. Then they take Nancy to the hospital. There, Jacko explains to the nurse that Nancy was bitten by a red-bellied black snake on her thigh. This is information the reader already knows at this point. The author could have simply said, “Jacko explained what happened to the nurse.”

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. A more appropriate rating would have been 3.5 because, in addition to being wordy, the book starts to drag a little towards the end, especially given its exciting first couple of chapters. But I rounded the number up because the book is well written and professionally edited. The characters are amazing, and the storyline is interesting enough to keep the reader engaged throughout the 38 chapters of the book.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thank you for that detailed review. I just say that I found the cover a bit off-putting, it looks rather dry, but you’ve made the book more appealing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 03:31 Thank you for that detailed review. I just say that I found the cover a bit off-putting, it looks rather dry, but you’ve made the book more appealing.
I must admit, the cover could do with a little work. Thanks for dropping by and commenting :D
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for nice review for making it interesting to read this book which highlights the conditions in the Syria war
your score given tells that this book could be well written
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Great review! To be honest, I thought it would be a super serious book so I was pleasantly surprised when you mentioned it is a humorous read.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

Hi! This is a great review! I just finished reading the book. Did you find that the title of the book is a little misleading? Its great that you exemplified the things you pointed out with actual instances and dialogue. I didn't really like the last leg of the plot too much so I wouldnt give it a 4 on 4 rating :snooty: , but I would eagerly read the next book in the series :wink: . The author is a great story-teller and a master at drawing out the setting.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

sanjus wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 16:13 Thanks for nice review for making it interesting to read this book which highlights the conditions in the Syria war
your score given tells that this book could be well written
I must admit, I was surprised at how well written the book is despite it being the author's debut novel. Thank you for your comment, mate. :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

JR Mercier wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 08:10 Great review! To be honest, I thought it would be a super serious book so I was pleasantly surprised when you mentioned it is a humorous read.
Those were my initial thoughts too and I think the cover is partly to blame for giving that impression. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Gracedscribe wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 10:21 Hi! This is a great review! I just finished reading the book. Did you find that the title of the book is a little misleading? Its great that you exemplified the things you pointed out with actual instances and dialogue. I didn't really like the last leg of the plot too much so I wouldnt give it a 4 on 4 rating :snooty: , but I would eagerly read the next book in the series :wink: . The author is a great story-teller and a master at drawing out the setting.
Thank you so much for your kind words. :D
I totally agree with you. I would have preferred a different title as well and it makes complete sense not to give the book a perfect rating. On the other hand, I'm also eagerly awaiting the next book!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I like your review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

It may sound odd for someone like me who had been in the military profession to say this but I hope there's no war. Of course, I never had to use a gun or something before but the job I left 8 years ago made me read about atrocities, hostilities or conflicts. Believe it or not but people who have known violence are the ones who will readily oppose it. Love is indeed what we need. Let's all give peace a chance. Cheers.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Espie wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 22:52 I like your review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

It may sound odd for someone like me who had been in the military profession to say this but I hope there's no war. Of course, I never had to use a gun or something before but the job I left 8 years ago made me read about atrocities, hostilities or conflicts. Believe it or not but people who have known violence are the ones who will readily oppose it. Love is indeed what we need. Let's all give peace a chance. Cheers.
Thank you so much for sharing that, Espie. It's great to get the perspective of someone who has been on the other side of the war. War is never pleasant and I like that the main goal for a lot of the characters in the book is to put an end to it. Giving peace a chance is indeed the better option.

Thanks for dropping by and commenting :D
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It is really unexpected to see a historical fiction book like this one with a good sense of humour.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 02:56 It is really unexpected to see a historical fiction book like this one with a good sense of humour.
I know right? I was pleasantly surprised to find out. Thanks for commenting :wink2:
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Okay, exciting at first but seems to drag out at the end, well...a lot of stories do that to try to increase their word count. But your review was descriptive and makes me want to add the book to my reading list.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a great read if not for the author trying to drag out the story, which is a pity. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”