Review by elivia05 -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by elivia05 -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by elivia05 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love... at your service by Shay Carter was definitely a fun, lighthearted read. This book details the life of Randy Love, a happy-go-lucky character who has a difficult time attempting to fit in with the rest of his levelheaded family members. Randy never seems to be satisfied, he is constantly changing his mind and his direction in life. The rest of his family is very goal-oriented, and they know exactly what they want out of life.

My favorite character in this book is not Randy Love but his father, John Love. John Love has a very dry sense of humor to which I can personally relate. Randy's father is a very successful man, but he remains humble. He clearly wants the best for all three of his children, and does his best to help the black sheep in the family, Randy. Randy's siblings are James and Heather. Both of his siblings are significantly older than he is. Randy's sister, Heather (the eldest), is an architect. She graduated from college the year prior to Randy's birth. Randy's brother, James, is a lawyer. Although their father, John Love, would never voice his opinion, he thought very little of James' career choice.

There are some great characters in this book, but I am going to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Randy Love... at your service is a fun read, but it lacked any true conflict that I continued to crave throughout the book. This book reads like a sitcom. It has several elements of humor that made it enjoyable to read, but I felt that the book was lacking a significant amount of substance. Throughout the book, I kept hoping that Randy would be faced with a conflict that helped him become a better person, but that moment never came. Randy remained a flat character which was really disappointing to me.

I would recommend this book to people in a college setting or people who are entering a new career. The humorous elements in the book are much more funny when you can relate to the situations that Randy is put in.

Overall, I did enjoy the book. It was a fun read. However, I was disappointed by the actual story line. There are several great characters, but none of them are faced with any true conflict. For these reasons, I have decided that the book deserved to be rated 2 out of 4 stars.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like elivia05's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's a pity when the story isn't well-developed. Thanks for the great review!
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

gen_g wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 00:01 It's a pity when the story isn't well-developed. Thanks for the great review!
I had just hoped for some rising action and a little conflict, but it never came. Thank you for the kind comment!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I've read a few reviews of this book and, well, I think your rating is probably pretty spot-on, if not a little generous lol. Thanks for a great review!
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 16:29 I've read a few reviews of this book and, well, I think your rating is probably pretty spot-on, if not a little generous lol. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you so much for the kind comment!
Iviss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iviss.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Iviss »

I am currently reading this book and I pretty much agree with you. The book is fun to read, but that's all. It lacks drama and conflict.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”