Review by DorcasToo -- The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prize" by Geoffrey M Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prize is a medical thriller showcasing reality in the medical field. Dr. Eric Prescott is a senior neurologist and has just received The Lasker Award. Despite this, he isn't satisfied and is already planning his next award. He is working on discovering a cure for Alzheimer's disease to be able to win The Nobel Prize. Whether by crook or truth; he must win. Also, he doesn't care the liability he removes to get his aim.

Dr. Pam Weller is an assistant professor at the Langmere Institute of Neurological Disease. Having been at the institute for 4½ years, she is faced with a mid-tenure review that isn't so good. It can easily jeopardize her career. In fact, she needs a major discovery to get the tenure. The chance of this happening is so slim. She has been working on a project to discover a cure for Alzheimer's. Her team comprises two postdocs (Holly Singer and George) and two graduate students. With the administration on her neck demanding results she feels doomed. Thank God she has Jake, her boyfriend.

This book brings out a great contrast between Dr. Pam and Dr. Eric. While both are fighting to find a cure, their methods totally differ. The latter is crooked and uncouth, while Pam is ethical and professional.

During one of their experiments, Holly, a postdoc, discovers a compound that is able to stop Alzheimer disease in its early stages. Due to a nasty past, she keeps this information to herself. She also sets a plan into motion to benefit the most by claiming first author. Her greed pushes her into murky waters.

The book covers betrayal, jealousy, hypocrisy and murder as its' themes. There is no worse enemy than the enemy of unknown. Anticipating a danger lurking in the dark. The author is so descriptive you easily relate with the characters. The plot is built chapter after chapter to create a strong story.

Geoffrey M. Cooper has made this medical thriller the perfect work of art. I expected a lot of medical jargon. Apparently, the language used is very simple. This enables the reader to grasp the concept. Also, he uses suspense to keep your interest piqued to the end. This book will keep you turning page after page. The punctuation and grammar use is perfect. Dr. Cooper has brought out an angle not tackled by most authors, making the book realistic.

I found no mistakes in the book and therefore, give it a 4 out of 4 stars. Finally, I recommend the book to all people who enjoy thrillers.

The Prize
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, this is an awesome review. It is very profound. Thanks for it. The subject matter of the book is brought out clearly. I would simply like Dr. Pam. The motivation behind her zeal is more of being humane.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great book for people who like medical shows.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like a book I could really get into. Thanks for the review and the recommendation!
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

Kibetious wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 22:35 Wow, this is an awesome review. It is very profound. Thanks for it. The subject matter of the book is brought out clearly. I would simply like Dr. Pam. The motivation behind her zeal is more of being humane.
Thanks for the compliment Dr. Pam is an amazing character. You can easily emulate her.
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

teacherjh wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:39 This sounds like a great book for people who like medical shows.
Yah :techie-studyingbrown:
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

Dael Reader wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 17:01 This sounds like a book I could really get into. Thanks for the review and the recommendation!
Thank you and welcome

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”