Review by drackeye -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
drackeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drackeye.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: slredirect

Review by drackeye -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by drackeye »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty is a tale about Rynah’s quest to stop the man who betrayed her and save her planet, Lanyr. Along the way, she acquires four heroes who attempt to aid her in her journey. As a group, they travel the galaxy in search of six crystals that the ancient legends say can repair the damage. However, the crystals could also be used to destroy many more planets, if they fell into the wrong hands.

This is a very entertaining story. It is full of adventure, suspense, drama, and even a "tear jerker" moment. I genuinely enjoyed the story. Some of the scenes are very well written with an appropriate amount of description. Of the characters, Alfric is my favorite. He is, in my opinion, the most well-developed character in the book. I felt like I really got to know him, despite knowing virtually nothing about his background. Additionally, the characters almost always saved themselves with skills they already possessed.

Apart from the story, the book has more issues than I can address. As such, I will focus on the worst two. The first has to be the five continuity issues. The worst of these involves what day Lanyr was destroyed. Within the first seven chapters, that day changes three times. This makes me wonder if the author paid attention to her own timeline. All of the others involve events that are later implied to have not happened. A simple rewording of the initial event in each case would have prevented the respective errors completely.

The second major issue is the use of parenthetical statements. I understand they are technically acceptable; however, Ms. McNulty abuses them. She inserts them into existing sentences which breaks the flow of said sentence and disrupts the mental image she is trying to paint. Those statements also cause most of the run-on sentences throughout the book. Some of which are excessively long. This book would have been considerably better had she followed a simple rule about using parentheses in essays, stories and similar works. "Don’t. If you have to put something in parentheses then it is unnecessary and should be omitted. If it is important enough to be included, then reword the context and make it its own sentence." Other issues include confusing, poor or unnecessary wording and redundant statements. Surprisingly though I found only one grammatical error.

Solaris Seethes is an excellent story that I thoroughly enjoyed. What I did not enjoy, however, was the book itself. I genuinely wanted to give it a good rating but with all the errors and flaws, I simply cannot. It felt like the book was competing with the story rather than supporting it. For that reason, I am giving this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. That said, I would still recommend the book for no other reason than the story. I am also looking forward to reading the sequel as the story was that good.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like drackeye's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Always do your absolute best in all that you do. Especially when you don't want to."
"If you cannot be proud of the job you did when you are done, you wasted your time."
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Those continuity issues would drive me crazy! I like how you quote the proper use of parentheses, it makes a lot of sense. Nice job on this review.
drackeye
Currently Reading:

Post by drackeye »

CommMayo wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 16:13 Those continuity issues would drive me crazy! I like how you quote the proper use of parentheses, it makes a lot of sense. Nice job on this review.
Thankyou. There was so much I wanted to include that I struggled to get it under 500 words so that the editors wouldn't fuss about the length.

The rule about parentheses was drilled into me in Middle School and it bugs me to no end to see professionals blatantly disregard it.
"Always do your absolute best in all that you do. Especially when you don't want to."
"If you cannot be proud of the job you did when you are done, you wasted your time."
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Continuity issues in books kill me. My worst is when the spelling of someone's name changes constantly throughout the book. So thanks for the heads-up :)
Great review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
drackeye
Currently Reading:

Post by drackeye »

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 15:03 Continuity issues in books kill me. My worst is when the spelling of someone's name changes constantly throughout the book. So thanks for the heads-up :)
Great review.
Thank you.
It seemed odd to me when she seemed better able to maintain the continuity of minor details better than she did some of the major ones.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

What an interesting review! Those continuity errors sound bad. Pity that a good story should be marred by it's execution.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
drackeye
Currently Reading:

Post by drackeye »

Helen_Combe wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 05:29 What an interesting review! Those continuity errors sound bad. Pity that a good story should be marred by it's execution.
Agreed. It is truly a shame made worse by not simply doing a good proof read.
Thank you for the comment.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Such a great review! It is sad when there is a great story but the writing is poor. Thank you for your thorough review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
drackeye
Currently Reading:

Post by drackeye »

JR Mercier wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 02:53 Such a great review! It is sad when there is a great story but the writing is poor. Thank you for your thorough review.
What's worse is that there really were far too many issues for me to fit in the review. As it is, I had a time cutting over 200 words out just to get the review under 500.

Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”