Review by togormey -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
togormey
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by togormey -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey » 10 Jun 2018, 12:20

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret, by Rob White is an inspirational memoir centered on his life as a growing child. Rob, a.k.a Bobby is a native of a small mill town, bound by unique beliefs, values and culture. Coming from a small town like this means that, he has to follow his father's footsteps. The boys, right after high school, are absorbed by the two mill factories in the town for employment while the ladies take honour and pride in their marriages.

Rob's encounter with people (family, friends and strangers) from his childhood to adulthood that thought him lessons, he had given account of in this book. These people he calls "gurus". Roy is the name of one of the gurus who changed Rob's mindset from being a factory worker to a college student after high school. In Rob's pursuit of inner-self development after achieving his career goals, he meets Margaret and began to see things differently.

The life story of Rob in this novel, revolves around myths he believes, and are part and parcel of him. These myths determine his thoughts, perceptions and actions towards life in general. Each chapter is based on a myth. Before I start reading a chapter, I try as much as possible to relate personally to the myth, and see how it finally turns out in Rob's life. I feel the author's goal is to get the reader's attention physically, emotionally and mentally, which he has achieved.

The author was able to backdrop his present life experiences against the past without distorting the chronology of the story. This allowed him to make each myth stand independently.

The idea of the author to use physics to explain some emotional moments in his life, threw more light on the expression of his emotional state. Example: "As I wrestled with the dueling forces of loyalty to my family and loyalty to myself - a centrifugal pull and a centripetal pull - a strange thing happened." Using Isaac Newton's Third Law of Motion to explain how a myth can affect one's life, made his message crystal clear: "There must also be an equal and opposite reaction to the myth."

Rob's uncle, Fred is my favourite character as he played an important role in the personality development of his nephew as growing child. Fred always seemed like a role model to Rob. He counts himself fortunate to have Fred in his life. The statement: "Everyone should have an Uncle Fred while growing up.", says it all. I think he got the urge to be an entrepreneur from his uncle. Fred always saw things on the brighter side, no matter how bad a situation seems to be.

I love the sense of humour the author attached to the memoir, making it very enjoyable to read. I promise you unending smiles on your faces as you take a ride with And Then I Met Margaret. It's a double-pack(motivational and humorous).

The book is rich in content. Its entirety is filled with "gems" of life put into words to inspire and develop the reader spiritually.

I came across more than ten typo errors, like omission, punctuation, word misplacement and homophone. Example, "!" for "?", "You're" for "Your" etcetera. This book deserves 4 stars because of its rich make-up, but unfortunately, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars as a result of the ambiguity in this statement: "The very daring to decide and learn from one's decisions...", being the reality he discovered in Chapter Six. I recommend this book for all, since we all have set life goals we want to achieve. Success is achieving your life goals.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like togormey's review? Post a comment saying so!
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?

Philip Chepsingil
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by Philip Chepsingil » 13 Oct 2018, 06:00

This is a great review. I also reviewed this book and I must say you have brought a good picture of this great book by White.

togormey
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey » 28 Oct 2018, 09:45

Thanks.
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”