Review by Cardinalsparrow -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Review by Cardinalsparrow -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love… at your service is a book by Shay Carter. The book centres around the life of a young man named Randy Love, born to John and Marjorie Love late in their life when they had no plans of having another child after their first two; James and Heather. James and his wife had planned to retire and relax at that age and were surprised by the arrival of another child so they called him Randy. Marjorie died shortly after Randy was born.

Randy for whatever reason takes a gap year to the United States and takes up temporary jobs in Bishop's Milton in spite of persuasions from his father. After several short term accommodations, Randy decides to move to London to take up better employments.

Randy Love is an interesting character, his day to day activities are entertaining and funny especially pertaining to his jobs and the little mischiefs he pulls up from time to time. There are a few turn offs about this character - his lazy attitude towards work, always looking for a way to avoid it and his utter disregard for women choosing to see them only from his selfish sexual point of view. Creating a character this dynamic is quite a feat.

In the beginning of the story, the author did a beautiful job with the introduction and development of the characters, she careful led us through the story beginning from John and Marjorie to James and Heather then finally to the main character, Randy. The secondary characters were subsequently shallow, she could have given them a bit more depth. The plot too became sloppy after the first few chapters.

I also don't seem to understand what makes the book a romance novel apart from the sex which in itself is not enough to make it so. It is more of a comedy than romance; even when he comes close to committing to someone he still tries to avoid her “chattering” and only realises he’d made a mistake leaving her at the end of the story.
The author seemed to be very much into British slangs, at first I found this insightful - in the sense that being a non-Brit myself I learnt a few things- but as the book progressed it became quite a struggle to grasp some of them.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of the humours. I recommend this book to people who are conversant with British lingo.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cardinalsparrow's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

What a pity that this book went downhill after the beginning. And also that the characters lacked development.
Thanks for this review - I really enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I enjoy humour in a book.Hope I get to read this.Thanks.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Flat characters are a complete turn-off. I enjoyed your review, though. Thanks for the objective and candid insight.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 07:55 Flat characters are a complete turn-off. I enjoyed your review, though. Thanks for the objective and candid insight.
Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like the review
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Randy seems to be an interesting character in this book.I would read this book to find out more.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I also don't seem to understand what makes the book a romance novel apart from the sex which in itself is not enough to make it so. It is more of a comedy than romance; even when he comes close to committing to someone he still tries to avoid her “chattering” and only realises he’d made a mistake leaving her at the end of the story.
A very interesting observation! I also found Randy quite annoying.

Feel free to check out my review of the book at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51075
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”